UltravioletPhotography

Rare Takumar 85mm f/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic to be auctioned

nfoto

This news might interest a lot of our members:

The auction site http://www.bcauction.ca/ will be putting up a complete set comprising the rare

Ultra-Achromatic Takumar 85mm f/4.5 lens

and all its filters including the filter for UV(C ).

My source says it is prudent to register an account at the site in preparation for the auction, which reportedly will be on line this week.

I know Andrea has at least one of these, probably other members as well. I saw Andrea using it in Scotland a few years ago, but otherwise it has been off my radar. Be pleased to know I will NOT participate in the auction as I have problems enough already, with all the diverse gear at my disposition, to select the best lens for a shooting assignment !!.

Yes I have a UAT 85mm f4.5 lens. I sold some stock, almost got a divorce, but own one. Its the single most expensive piece of photography equipment I own.

It got me into UV-B imaging and encouraged me to look into UV-C. Its a fantastic lens good for close up images and has M42 mount so will work on any camera. Just might be macro only on Nikon F-mount or Pentacon six if your crazy enough to mount it there.

There are only 25 known in the world. We should all meet up one day.

Government auction sites are a massive pain. You may have to pick it up in person or arrange someone to do that for you. The Canadian board I think is still closed. But you can get some stuff cheap as much fewer competition. The US government auction site has a spread of stuff way over value and ridiculously cheap. Like getting a work truck for $200. Or a cheap 600mm lens brand new for $100, selling for $1000.

Like this gama imager:

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=31QSCI21007004

If the total of 25 units is correct, then UVP members have at least 10% of them ....

A few teaser images for the upcoming auction.

IMG_8802.JPG

IMG_8793.JPG

IMG_8775.JPG

Hand-written test reports on such items must be a true rarity.

That lens looks to be beyond mint. As in bought and stored in a humidity controlled safe. Due to the pain of dealing with government auctions, now I wonder what it will sell for. That filter looks too clean.

I wonder if I can attach a pdf of the manual. Page 5 shows the filters that should be there. I never got any filters with mine just bare lens. Didn't even get the proper caps.

UAT_85mm_OpManual.pdf

Good to see one in the box with the bits. The lens body looks ok, but there was some paint missing on some of the images I was sent. Still an amazing opportunity for someone though, they don't come along that often.

EDIT: Also, for any potential buyer it would be good to know what that is on the front element - dust on the outside or the inside or perhaps even fungus.

Looks like a lot of dust to me. There is even a hair on the back rim mount. I am always surprised when people don't carefully clean an item before taking photos for sale. I almost got a lens dirt cheap, but didn't think it right. So messaged an ebay seller to clean the front lens. Had a finger smear, which looked like a deep scratch. After they cleaned it the bids shot up 5x.

Whats sad is the deep scratches on the bp 866nm filter. That would have been fun.

I have a BN850 which is nice and this seems to be the equivalent.

Truly a collector's item with the box and the filters.

For what it is worth, the UAT UV-pass filters are "leaky" by our current digital standards because these filters were made when film was used. They really are not usable.

If the total of 25 units is correct, then UVP members have at least 10% of them ....

Actually, UVP members have captured 20% 24% of the UATs (assuming there were only 25 produced).

Well there must have been a whole bunch produced. The listing serial number is 2471890, the manual has a number of 2471918. Mine has a serial of 360xxxx.

So maybe the 25 estimate I was told is wrong.

Added

This one as serial 5428504

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3156614

The serial numbers seem all over the place.

Here they are also claiming only 25:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63994312

The Pentax forum is also claiming 25. Maybe thats were I got that number from.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Ultra-Achromatic-Takumar-85mm-F4.5.html

I am not interested in the lens, but I want to warn you that your link doesn't work for me. I don't know about other members in other countries.

The message says:

"You have accessed this page through an invalid referer.

This activity has been logged."

Edit was only viable for 1 hour.

The first time I wish I lived locally to this. It for sure will sell low. Must be picked up in person!

The Canadian borders are closed, no in or out. You would have to know someone whom lives in the area.

Yes my link only worked for 1 hour.

Currently at $3.50. I wonder if you could pay someone local to pick it up and mail it. This will definitely sell low, if I didn't have one, I would be upset. If not COVID, I would fly in to get it myself. Would be cheaper than what I paid. I used to know people nearby, but haven't spoken to them in over 20 years.