UltravioletPhotography

Ryan "Ahr" Neely

ahrneely

Hello everyone! It's great to be here. I am a newbie in terms of UV Photography and I'm really excited to get started. I plan to scour through the forums for all of the great information already posted before I start posting myself. I have some equipment for UV Photography and am slowly adding to my inventory, but I'm taking it slow as I am just starting out. I'm excited to be a part of this community. While I am more interested in portraiture than I am in botanical imagery, I have found many of the images here to be quite stunning.
You are most welcome, Ryan. Whatever you can contribute with will be appreciated. UV portraiture sounds interesting indeed.

Hi Ryan. Nice to have you join us. I will look forward to your UV experiments.

Post any questions you might have in the UV Advisory Corner and we'll make sure they get answered.

Meanwhile, enjoy looking around.

Ryan,

An interesting idea, UV portraiture. You will, alas, lose many friends in this endeavor :) -- UV is great at showing all the blemishes, especially those highlighted by melanin that are not visible to the naked eye. This is why dermatologists use UV photography. Forensic criminalists use it as well; one case was tried successfully with a UV photo taken of a human bitemark on a child's arm. The UV image was taken five months after the bite, which didn't break the skin, and showed clearly the dentiture of the assailant.

I took a UV shot of a teenager's face which revealed that her coup de sabre scar was still progressing. She was able to take preemptive action.

The opportunities are endless for UV photography.

Welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Great to know that my noviceness and inexperience in UV photography will not be shunned or frowned upon here. I'm excited to start posting some questions (of which I will do shortly). I have been out taking some test shots already, and plan on posting some questions soon!