UltravioletPhotography

Agate that has been 'colour treated', UV, VIS & both.

colinbm

With some here showing beads & minerals, I decided to find some for myself.

I have a local bead shop & fortunately a mineral display visited my local Mall.

So armed the 'Wanfire' 365nm UV torch I ventured to these two outlets & spooked them with my UV expedition.

By-the-way one of the no name UV torches has the brand as 'Wanfire', on eBay.

The lady in the bead shop had never seen anything like it before, but only 1% of the glass & plastic beads were UV fluorescent.

The mineral display was equally scarce with UV fluorescence, but I did get some nice examples that I could afford.

The lady with the minerals was impressed with the 'Wanfire' & ordered one online. I did explain that they weren't 15w but still the best around.

So here is the first posting by me in a long while......this is an Agate that has been 'colour treated'...?

Not exactly sure what they do to the stone but I gather it has had some heat treatment to change its colours ?

I took photos of the 'colour treated' Agate with three different wavelengths.

First is in Visible light from a 6000k white LED.

Second is in UVIVF from the 'Wanfire' 365nm LED torch.

Third is a combination of UVIVF + Visible light.

post-31-0-83718800-1604666163.jpg

post-31-0-94571200-1604666680.jpg

post-31-0-73407400-1604666719.jpg

Its a way in which you polish the stone, if I can remember correctly.

I used to tumble and polish stones as a kid. Look up Cat's eye stones. These aren't real, just a good polish to make it look that way.

Probably cost too much to move my old Rock collection from Canada here to were I live now. But most likely I would have some treasures. I collected all across Canada during childhood camping trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Enrico

This business of heat & dye treating minerals is all new to me, but especially in the last two images I can see the Agate properties coming out...?

I did a Mohs Test & I was just able to scratch glass.

Col