•  

Hello everyone

5 replies to this topic

#1 88Teo88

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 00:18

Hello everyone:)

I'm a software developer, but nowadays an antique dealer/collector, I have a little antique shop, and I take photos of items every day, but the paintings were always problematic, to figure out who the painter is. Therefore I would like to learn about IR photography, reflectography and build a system to analyze them.

Thank you: Teo from Hungary

#2 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 00:40

Hi Teo! Here you can find loads of information about UV/IR photography, but I will try to tell you the essential for IR:

You don't really need a converted camera, but it depends on your camera (some will work better than others, depending on the UV/IR cut filter on the sensor) but a full-spectrum or IR-converted one will work much better;

Typical IR light sources are tungsten lamps and LEDs, they both work well, if you need a broad spectrum you should use a tungsten-based one (like a halogen lamp);

Most lenses transmit IR well, but some will have an IR hotspot;

There are a lot of longpass filters for IR photography, such as Hoya R72 or Schott RG850. Your camera will be able to see up to 1100 nm, not more, if you want to explore SWIR you need a SWIR camera (Andy has a TriWave for example), but they are difficult to find and often very expensive.

Hope to see more from you.

#3 colinbm

• Members+G
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:42

Looking forwards to seeing your work & experiments too.
I think UVA will be useful too with reflected UVA & UVA induced visible light fluorescence ( UVIVF ).

#4 nfoto

Former Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:13

Welcome to UVP and just dive straight into the fray asking questions and posting images.

#5 88Teo88

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 21:47

Thank you so much for your kind replies:)) it looks a really good community
I was reading a lot about it in recent months, and I would like to write a longer post in the next days
Thank you again It is nice to be here:)
Teo

#6 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 14:54

Yes please post images. I need some inspiration.
Seems like 100 new sign upers in last 6 months and only the older users (on for more than a year) are posting.

I also need to post more cool stuff. Now that scary UV is in my hands. I will have to take some images.