UltravioletPhotography

Soligor 21mm f/3.8

StephanN

The pictures you have taken with this lens are quite good. It is in the same class as the Tamron and Asahi offerings; I wonder how it stacks up in absolute terms.
The Panagor 21mm f/4 lens is probably another knock-off, or rebranding, of the Soligor. I found it quite useful for UV not the least due to its very close focusing capacities. Using my DIY rear-filtration device for the Z cameras, it will focus almost to the surface of the front lens yet still go to infinity.
  • 2 weeks later...

The pictures you have taken with this lens are quite good. It is in the same class as the Tamron and Asahi offerings; I wonder how it stacks up in absolute terms.

Thanks. Hm, have never done a scientific test, perhaps Birna has done so with her Panagor?

The Panagor 21mm f/4 lens is probably another knock-off, or rebranding, of the Soligor.

It looks similar, judging from one can find on the internet. In fact, I believe that there has been so much of rebranding with these older lenses that one can hardly be sure of anything; actually it is still going on with theses Samyang/Walimex/Rokinon/Bower-lenses :smile:

• 4 months later...

See here: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/4451-bushnell-21mm-f38-automatic/ for a proper test by Ulf (Bushnell is just a different name for the rose). It's not going too low, reaches zero transmission around 350, but the image quality is ok for me.

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a Soligor 21mm f/3.8 off eBay.  I had a moment of bewilderment when I tried to screw in a 72-77 step-up ring.  It turned out that the thread was 67mm.  So I googled.  Everywhere I looked said the thread should be 72mm.  The following are some pictures of the lens.  The front and rear caps have stickers of "21mm T3.8" on them.  The inside rim of the front cap has a narrow tape of some thickness that maintains contact with the filter mount, which can be unscrewed from the lens proper.  Perhaps this is a variety for video.  Or is it a fake?  Thank you.

image.jpeg.2acfffc0d9396284bd2285e58ec57fe1.jpeg

image.jpeg.278c13ff6cec4f8bf8e0c1133acac17d.jpeg

image.jpeg.1617780e6f65ded7613c3f92fe8fd96f.jpeg

It’s hard to imagine it would be worth building fake Soligors, which sounds almost redundant :  ).  

Closed eBay item #313924610513 looks the same as your lens.