UltravioletPhotography

Andrea did you get that S1R converted?

dabateman

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an already converted S1R from a member here. I love the camera, quite the well built "brick". Still learning it. Hope to get organized enough soon to make an ongoing test post for everyone.

Very late response from me! As explained elsewhere, life intervened.

Bill De Jager

Great look forward to your report. The Z5 already seems like a good much lower cost competitor.

Though the S5 closes the cost gap partially, being near the Z6 II price at present. Birna has previously mentioned that Panasonic cameras handle UV color profiles especially well, so I expect the S1 or S5 would make a good conversion on that basis (assuming no problems like an IR shutter monitor). The Panasonic should also have the advantage of no PDAF pixel lines or patterns on the sensor. So I also await Andrea's report with interest, along with Birna's ongoing reports on her converted Z5.

Reviews suggest that the S-series cameras from Panasonic aren't as good with autofocus tracking of moving subjects since they rely on contrast-detection autofocus. That's not a concern for landscape or macro photography, or any photography of still subjects. I wouldn't buy one for general photographic use, but for specialty uses these cameras could be a great choice.

Personally, I don't need to flesh out yet another lens system, and for high-resolution photography lens-mount adapters introduce additional risk of misalignment. That's why I just bought a D850 on sale to use with my array of quality F-mount lenses for landscape photography, rather than some other lens mount where I'd need adapters or a whole new set of lenses. At this point the Z mount lens system is still a work in progress, though I certainly love my Z6.

Nevertheless, for using lenses with varied mounts for UV photography, a mirrorless camera is the way to go. That's where the S-Series cameras might turn out to be the best choice, between color management, full-frame sensor size, and the photosites being homogeneous. My mirrorless full-spectrum conversion is an A6000 which, while a technological wonder, has a crop sensor with small photosites, feels too weak to support heavy lenses on the tripod mount, is toy-like with small, fiddly buttons, and is just not a satisfying camera to use.

I can relate to having too many different lens mounts. I try to make them work for all my cameras. But thats not always possible. I have Pentacon six, Nikon F-mount, four thirds, micro four thirds, Sigma SA mount, C-mount and bought a Diana F+ mount instax square camera just recently for my B-day.

Lenses I am all over the place even with EF mount.

The Panasonic S5 has all the features I want, but a crappy flippy screen. But I might get over that, not sure. Thats why leaning to S1, S1r or Z5.

I also occasionally see S1R open box models with the 24-105mm lens for $2300. That puts it into the same S5/Z5 ball park.