UltravioletPhotography

Night hunter

I wonder if the spider was bothered by the light or enjoying it, as you seem to have it posing with different possible dinners in the series.

Cadmium,

Thank you very much!!! :smile:

dabateman,

Yes, I was also very surprised that my light did not even seem to interfere with his business. this is very strange! Although I noticed on other arthropods too that they were not particularly afraid of light, the caterpillar, for example, continued to chew and chew and chew.... :grin:

Scorpions (also arachnids) fluoresce too, although they are said to avoid UV light, and excessive exposure to it has been found to injure them.

Amazingly sharp photos ins13!

Yes, I think that an excess of ultraviolet light is traumatic for everyone. I try to keep the flashlight not too close and for short periods of time. I shoot with my hands, without tripod, with short exposures. I don't hold the UV and the exposure for long time. my impacts are brief

Thank you very much!! :smile:

Very nice photos. The spider looks almost fake, but of course it is very much alive. It looks like some glow-in-the-dark Halloween decoration.

Jonathan, I think it is a coincidence that some spiders and scorpions fluoresce that brightly. I don't think it is "intended". While some animals and insects can see reflected UV, hence the apparent purpose of nectar guides (there are people who say nectar guides are not that useful), for sure no animal can see in UVIVF. No predator shines UV light on spiders at night to see them.

Stefano, don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was 'intended', I was wondering what it was about their biology that caused it. A quick search and I found this article - https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2007.0016

Jonathan they excited the spider's with 302nm!

Why?

If your looking for fluorescence wouldn't you use a more prevalent wavelength?

Next we will find some bioluminescent insect with 302nm to justify this.

Also I didn't know there was a preference to shine UV on pink Floyd posters. Will have to breakout dark side on next imaging session.

Thank you all so much for your comments!!! :smile:

Yes, the biological causes of fluorescence are not always clear. It is considered that in plants, fluorescence is a way to dump excess light energy of the ultraviolet zone - energetically "dense" light, by converting to less energetically dense wavelengths of light and by emitting them as visible and infrared light, thereby getting rid of excess energy. And how things are in this area in animals-I did not come across scientific articles.