UltravioletPhotography

Excellent UV-blocking mask!

dabateman

I caught this during the Prime days for super cheap and wasn't expecting much.

Achiou Balaclava Face Mask UV Protection for Men Women Sun Hood Tactical ski https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08562K77T/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_da2KFbEWCE8B5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But today was able to test its blocking in All UV. And it works I was surprised. Only reason why I took the risk is a skin patient said they didn't need to wear sunscreen with this and didn't tan.

I had full blocking with this fabric even in UVA. I now have a new breathable mask for UV imaging. Yeah!

Thought I would lets others know. I have no relationship with the seller. And anyone I may work with doesn't support this either. This are only my personal experience.

So the my personal opinion for best UV blocking cloths would be this mask, long sleeve 100% cotton shirt, gloves (I like nitrile), 100% cotton pants. For the British viewers we can say trousers. As pants is only the undergarment.

Reminds me of my favorite Preacher Lawson quote "I am not naked, I am wearing socks."

Now if you want a tan through clothes wear 100% undyed polyester. UV just shoots right through 100% polyester.

:smile:

How do you determine whether or not the UV passes through?

I use a lycra diving suit with 300+ protection - https://iq-uv.com - to protect myself from the sun - ultraviolet light is completely unbearable to my skin, terrible reaction :wacko: - I meant on land, not in water :grin: although in the water too)

Now I want to buy the same clothes for UV photography. To check - in addition to checking by my own skin - I'm going to pull the fabric over the flash and try to photograph this way.

the only thing I can't find is thin gloves from the same brand

I have bunch of different UV light sources. I photograph them with and without the fabric.

Basically turn on a UV light. Aim the camera at the light with a good lens, I like to use one that doesn't limit the UV at all. Take an image to get the exposure. Then place a single layer of fabric over my camera and lens and reshoot. Then adjust the exposure until I see the same as the first.

So an ideal fabric would result in the following images:

1. No fabric, bright image of bulb.

2. Black image of bulb as fabric over the lens.

3. Dark image at crazy high exposure, like 60 seconds.

Test first with polyester. You will see image 1 and 2 are almost identical.

Test with cotton and found it to block most UV.

This mask surprised me, I can see a bulb in visible light through it. But it was UV dark. Was black even at 60 seconds for a 365nm led bulb. My germicidal bulb was also uv dark, but since also emits visible light I could get an image.

I caution the use of such neck gaiters for either UV or COVID-19 protection.

Garments marketed as UV protective should bear a UPF label in order to assure adequate photoprotection. The UPF is analogous to the SPF rating used on sunscreen labeling.

The neck gaiters sometimes seen in lieu of proper sanitary masks may actually make matters worse. Such masks have been reported to enhance the production of the smaller more hazardous respiratory droplets. see: Low-cost measurement of face mask efficacy for filtering expelled droplets during speech (see Fig. 3.A)

Thanks John,

I am skeptical about everything. I only comment here because in my tests with my mask it blocked UV. I don't know what the fabric used is or its ratings.

The link I posted now says 88% polyester and 12% spandex. It didn't say that when I ordered mine. As I know polyester is transparent to UV. Not sure if its changed now. Ok buyer beware and look for one with John's UPF rating.

I definitely would never recommend a mask for COVID protection. Yes you need one. I will state that. But I will not name any names. Way too close to home for me and the legal statements I would need to cover myself with would be too long to write out.