UltravioletPhotography

False-colour explosion (EIR)

nfoto

Looking through some archival footage, I came across this image taken a few years back at the entrance of Grimsdalen, an alpine valley in the central mountain range of southern Norway. A full-spectrum Nikon D600 combined with the old-timer Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 ED and a deep orange filter O56 was used.

The 200-400 ED is a favourite of mine for landscapes as the focal range is just about perfect for this purpose, and there are virtually no axial chromatic aberrations to be seen (do note this is the early '80s model with ED but no IF. A very desirable optic at its time, fetching high prices on the second-hand market).

E16100468456_false_colour_explosion.jpg

"Oh well". to paraphrase Andrea. The autumn colours literally exploded in this false-colour EIR-emulated image. I just had to push the release.

Anyway, your joke made me look into more images from this trip taken with the same camera/lens/filter combination. Autumn is ideal for the inland mountain ranges in my neck of the woods as the air is very clean so colours come out crisp and clear.

This is another view from Grimsdalen, or actually a peek into an adjoining narrow valley. It will be evident that the same mosaic pattern of colour are present here too. The first image was in frontal lighting (in the evening, shooting straight eastwards), the one below also an evening capture but shooting due south, ie. 90 degrees to the first.

B1610046851_grimsdalen_200-400ED_eir.jpg

The next one is taken on the southern side of the same mountain range some hours earlier. The vegetational patterns here are on a much grander scale, but still there are small vestiges of the "golden dwarfbirch heath" scattered along in the alpine zone. The other main difference to Grimsdalen here is the mountain birches had more of their autumn foliage intact. There are also dense growths of conifers mainly Scots Pine.

A16100467768_atnadalen_rondane_200-400_EIR.jpg

I conclude that my "colour explosion" is a manifestation of the state of the mountain vegetation and its small-scale pattern distribution. In Grimsdalen, which is a typical glacial valley, the terrain is mottled with glacial deposits interspersed with sinkholes, fens, pools and rivulets. The substrate is either very nutrient-poor siliquous schists hardly weathered to make subsoil over the last 10.000 years, or glacial moraine which drains fast to give a very dry habitat. The alpine vegetation responds to these conditions by developing intricately patterned communities.

Both images captured with the Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 ED lens, D600 full-spectrum, and Nikon O56 filter.

Put lens on a sturdy tripod, focus, press the release ....

I would add " find the correct motif " to that statement.

Not all of us are blessed with the nice nature and sights of Norway.

Put lens on a sturdy tripod, focus, press the release ....

No camera, No film behind that leaf shutter lens?

I knew these were downloads straight from your brain. Great work. The flashback time might be coming.

This is all in gest, I haven't slept in a couple of days straight now as you maybe able to tell from some of my spelling.

This is all in gest, I haven't slept in a couple of days straight now as you maybe able to tell from some of my spelling.

Maybe now you will dream in ultraviolet, like it happened to me several times.