UltravioletPhotography

Primaluce Nikon Z5 Full-spectrum camera

nfoto

The Italian company Primaluce just announced delivery of a full-spectrum modified Nikon Z5. The price is just slightly above what the standard model sells for in Europe. These are brand new cameras with a 4 year Nikon Italy warranty, which implies it will have the normal Nikon warranty in my country at least.

The web site is here https://www.primalucelab.com/world/.

I have ordered a camera contingent upon they clarify whether the dreaded UV-induced striping issue of the Z6 is absent from the Z5.

Just saw this and was going to tell you Birna. I wonder if you can trade in your Z6?

I have been drooling over the Z5 prices. Let me know if it works. An Olympus Em1mk3 with 12-100mm f4 lens is $2500 USD. A Z5 camera with 24-200mm lens and a Nikon F mount adapter is $2200. But I might get a 2020BSI instead.

Nah, not my policy. If the Z5 does work well I just have the modified Z6 reset to factory order and maybe sell it. I probably add another Z7 shortly as they now sell at very low prices new in expectation of the arrival of Z7 II.

The Z5, thankfully, appears to have full GPS support.

The Primaluce compay has offered me a review camera. So hopefully we all will learn whether or not this is a valuable addition to the arsenal of full-spectrum cameras.
Be interesting to see what you think of it Birna. The transmission spectra they provide for their filter shows it cuts loads of UV which is a shame (similar to a lot of the cover glass spectra I've measured for different cameras). Perhaps not surprising as their main target would be people imaging the H-alpha line rather than the UV.

I'm anware of that potential problem, but there is always the option to swap their cover glass for something else. Paired with the UV-Nikkor the camera should easily explore the pertinent region of the UV for botanical purposes.

I do have written Primaluce about my concern for a UV-induced striping issue like I experienced with the Z6. will be interesting to run the review sample though its paces to learn if there is any improvement in this regard. I sincerely hope so. If not, they promised me the camera could be returned for a full refund.

If their posted plot is real and not a hand drawing. Then one tick is 7.7nm and the 50% cut would be 338.5nm. So not bad for UV-A outside or with a Quartz lens. But horrible at 300nm. As only 10% transmission at 308nm.

However, if true a stock Z5 would be excellent for UVIVF. Very little leakage, 4.3% transmission at 400nm.

My main application for the Z5 would be botanicals so the camera apparently being less UV-responding towards 300mm is of little concern. Provided the camera cuts the mustard in terms of trouble-free UV rendition, I eventually can consider swapping out the coverglass for something better.

Negotiating the conditions of getting the review camera just now. Hopefully I can commence testing it in the near future.

Just got notification the Primaluce Z5 has been shipped from Italy. As the shipping is done through courier not by the glacially slow postal services, I have high hopes of getting the camera in a few days' time.

The most funny aspect of this is that I have yet to handle the new Z5 camera in its factory version, as ordinary Z5 stocks are still to arrive here up North ... So my familiarity with the Z5 up to now has been viewing and discussing the camera through Nikon's virtual prelaunch event. I did download the manual and noted it has GPS support, so the camera itself cannot be that bad?

I did download the manual and noted it has GPS support, so the camera itself cannot be that bad?

So the fact that there is GPS support does not guarantee it is a good camera but is a good sign?

You read me correctly.

Whether or not the infamous UV-enhanced striping (as seen in the Z6) is present will be the subject of the very first test when the camera arrives.

I do have signed a review contract with Primaluce so even the UVP community has to wait for the full review being completed.

I look forward to hearing about it, nfoto. I am now a Nikon owner, as it happens. My grandmother died not long ago, and she was a professional photographer (in the 1990s, she was Senior Editor for Popular Photography). She left me her whole photo equipment collection, which is currently filling my small apartment to the brim. Among the goodies is a Nikon D7100. So one of these days I will try it out, once I find where she put the charger. :smile:

Andy,

Sorry for the loss. Having the people is always better than the gear or money.

Birna,

I look forward to the review. For some reason I am interested in the Z5. Its missing a super resolution mode. But from this review its stated that the dynamic range is 1/3 stop better than Z6 upto ISO 800. Over that the Z6 is the best low light Nikon mirrorless.

https://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/camera-reviews/nikon-z-mirrorless-camera/nikon-z5-camera-review.html

Also stated that 12-bit avoids banding better than 14-bit. I would like to see your assessment.

I have been able to extract superb UV imagery from other 24 MPix cameras including D600 and D3200. So lack of "super resolution mode" is nothing I for one worry about.

My main worry now actually is the time of the year to commence testing as we are about to enter long and dark winter. From a personal perspective, it should have been more optimal, or should I say enjoyable, to do critical shooting in spring and early summer. However, lots of scenes can still be investigated in UV, and there are florists to visit to check what flowers they can offer. Just will take a "discreet" NEMO torch and quickly shine a little UV onto some of the botanicals to assess their usefulness for testing :smile:

Rumors seem to indicate that the Z5 has the Sony IMX128 sensor. Tje same as was in the D600, D610 and D750. But with PDAF onboard.

If true that should give us some indication of what to expect.

Should have known UPS cannot be trusted. No camera arrived today, despite their messages still optimistically tell me the opposite :sad:

Oh well. Maybe I get it next week, then.

WiSi-Testpilot

Too bad, I was already looking forward to your review. Here in Germany, UPS works very well (for me). But I prefer to order with DHL, because they also deliver on Saturdays. How do the stripes come about? I didn’t find anything with Google.

Have a nice weekend,

best regards,

Wilhelm

Well, striping in UV is evident with the modified Z6. You might have a look in the dedicated Z6 thread. As to the behaviour of Z5, your guess is as good as mine. I do hope it behaves better, but won't hold my breath.

Shipping by UPS was the choice of the sender not mine. Apparently my camera is stuck in Nürnberg at present. It probably will stay there over the weekend. UPS on their side claim enthusiastically it will arrive tonight :huh:

Birna,

You need to raise the blinds before taking the image ;p

Yes its really bad, this kept me away fro Z-mount. I hope the Z5 is better as you can adapt any lens to it.

Here in Germany, UPS works very well (for me). But I prefer to order with DHL, because they also deliver on Saturdays. How do the stripes come about? I didn’t find anything with Google.

Have a nice weekend,

best regards,

Wilhelm

Here in Malmö, Sweden the UPS deliveries are terrible.

On delivery day when they are out for delivery I follow the progress, on the net, when working at my home office, until the tracking shows that they were unable to deliver and that "Your package is now available at the UPS Access Point™"

It has happened more that six times the last two years, for shipments paid to be delivered at my door.

The UPS website is also designed to make it difficult to reach a human to communicate with.

I finally found a way in and filed a complaint.

Fortunately I have not gotten any shipments via UPS after that so I do not know if the complaint helped.

I avoid using UPS if ever possible.

Turned out my UPS shipment is stranded in Köln (Cologne) in Germany for the foreseeable future. The new ETA now is seven - 7 - days ahead, so I just might - might - get the camera end of next week. Probably could put the package on a bicycle and pedal all the way in less time?

My trust in UPS has reached a new low.

UPS briefly put their act together, after shuttling my camera for days back and forth between Germany and Denmark. Thus I was surprised to receive my modified Z5 this earlier today.

An interesting camera for sure, and accessories such as my Markins L-bracket fits straight on, despite a slightly altered form factor compared to the Z6. My Foolography GPS plugs right in and works perfectly. Swell.

What about the dreaded striping issue that troubled the modified Z6? Well, the issue apparently has been sorted (?) but not in the manner I had thought. I will return with full details and test images after the review has been completed.