UltravioletPhotography

My first UVIVF

Jon2070

After introducing myself a while ago I finally got around to modifying my Yongnuo flashes and doing an experiment with Cerrusite and a Sunflower (starting to wilt). I went for ZWB1 filters to start off with, I suspect from the pinky red that I am getting quite a bit of IR coming through? Also either that is not Cerrusite or the IR is causing it to glow pink right? It should be a yellow colour when it fluoresces from what I have seen.

Shot on a Nikon D750, 90mm Tamron Macro Lens, ISO 320, 30 second exposure, flashes set to full power activated manually as often as they charged within the 30s. One is fixed camera left just back of frame, the other I held above and above/behind.

I am really pleased with the result as a first attempt, straight out of camera with WB set to daylight. I will probably tweak it a bit, play with changing hues. I am hoping for a more favourable USD exchange rate so that I can potentially get better filters...

post-311-0-50384000-1603142494.jpg

It's impressive considering the use of flashes not a UV LED torch. The lighting of the scene is excellent -- must have been quite a few times your flashes fired?

You might be correct in assuming some IR leaked through to the flower. However, in this case not that bad distraction as it lends a nice athmosphere to the overall scene, I think.

That's beautiful! It looks well-balanced, a very nice composition (even if you didn't arrange the subjects, I think). It reminds me of the sea, for some reason.

Beautiful photo, Jon.

I've tried a few UVIF experiments using flash - winter might be a time to give it another go. But I wasn't sure whether most of the image was due to fluorescence or visible leakage. (I was using ZWB1 over the flashguns as well).

You should be able to eliminate simple IR leakage by putting something like an S8612 filter on the camera.

I assume you used 30 secs as this is the longest exposure provided on the camera. I use Sony and Canon, which are also limited to 30 seconds. But if you use the remote control (IR-based) and set the camera shutter to B, then the first click of the remote control opens the shutter, and the shutter stays open until you click again - so you can have as long an exposure as you want (equivalent to a T shutter setting in the bad old days). Don't know if the Nikon remote controller works in the same way. (PS - if you are going to buy a remote controller, get a genuine Nikon one - the Cheap from China copies are unreliable and will drive you crazy with frustration.)

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Birna - I believe that the recycle time on full power of the flash is 3s, I didn't count but I estimate that I got around 8 activations per flash in the 30s, I tried to fire them at the same time as best I could.

Stefano - It is a single plant, I initially placed the (supposed) Cerrusite on the largest flower but it was not an interesting composition for me, so I then placed it here as you see, the underside of the larger flower naturally laid in this position, I moved the smaller bud a little so that is resting on the petals of the flower with the Cerrusite on it. The Sunflower was laid horizontally in the garage for the shoot and was then returned to the garden unscathed (its in a moveable flower pot).

Bernard - As I mentioned this was in the garage, lights off and I draped a large black sheet (its a Neewer background sheet meant for portraits) over everything just to minimise any visible light getting in.

From reading other posts would it not be best to mount the S8612 filter on the flash? The only place that I can see to buy one is from the US, notably Steve (Cadmium), as I said I am holding out for a more favourable exchange rate (if that ever happens).

Yes 30s is the longest exposure on the camera, I was following Don Komarechka's method (he inspired me to dabble in UVIVF) and he just uses 30s in a lot of his images. For simplicity I set the exposure to 30s and used a 5s delay timer. Thank you for the advice, I am an Astrophotography masochist and have a Pixel T9 remote shutter release which I use in bulb mode which has served me well over the years, also the qDSLR dashboard app on android is excellent when interfaced with the camera's wifi and does all sorts of other useful things depending on the situation.

Excellent image.

I think you will have lots of fun playing with this subject matter (UVIVF).

I haven't made it outside yet to get my earlier Astrophotography desire off the ground. May never. I don't seem to have the outside time and I have repurposed my 50 foot USB 3 cable was going to use to control the outside camera inside for UVC work.

Excellent image.

I think you will have lots of fun playing with this subject matter (UVIVF).

I haven't made it outside yet to get my earlier Astrophotography desire off the ground. May never. I don't seem to have the outside time and I have repurposed my 50 foot USB 3 cable was going to use to control the outside camera inside for UVC work.

Thank you very much. I hope that you do, it can be incredibly frustrating at times, but it also is very fulfilling when you get a good image at the end.