UltravioletPhotography

Large diameter IR filter for a car headlight......

Here's an odd one for you all. Apparently these are designed for use by the military with car headlamps, and they are an IR long pass filter. The aim being to use them in combination with night vision goggles.

They are big - 18.5cm diameter - and curved with a smooth side on what would be the outside of the lamp, and with the lens patterning on the inside. Here's what they look like.

post-148-0-27522700-1601911209.jpg

post-148-0-16474900-1601911216.jpg

The paper packaging on one of them has what looks like a date stamp for 1966.

post-148-0-96998900-1601911223.jpg

When I measured the transmission spectra I just started to get the edge of the IR transmission. Unfortunately my spectrometer doesn't go any higher, but I'm guessing they are something like a 900nm long pass.

post-148-0-97219400-1601911226.jpg

Although they probably fit my Landrover Defender (they're not one for big design changes until the new 'Defender' that has just come out), I haven't quite bought myself a night vision setup yet. I bought them as they are the right size for my studio flash system so I could use them for long wavelength IR imaging. The transmission is a bit high up, but c'est la vie, for £25 delivered for the two of them from eBay I thought they were worth a gamble.

You need to get some fun spot lights above your car and mount that. Then go hunting at night.

I visualize that in a Crocodile Dundee movie for some reason.

Yes they should be good fun.

I heard back from the vendor who I asked for a bit of history. Russian military apparently (so not for my Landrover, as you suspected Bernard). I did find some Landrover ones fof sale though, so it looks like the West had some too....