UltravioletPhotography

Omega eBay store is gone

Andy Perrin

I never bought anything from them, although Andy did suggest me some of their filters, months ago, if I am not mistaken. Did Covid-19 play a role here? Or simply the demand for their filters went down?
Omega Optical itself looks to still exist. Whether Bob is still there or not, I don't know. I sent them a note on ebay asking if it was permanent so we will see if there is a response. But it does look bad. I think I waited a bit too long to get started on my Sparticle.

Today I received the following message. Not sure what to make of this. Is he just short on time temporarily or what?

New message from: bjomejag (5,511Green Star)

Hello,

Thanks for the note. Due to a recapitalization of Omega Optical, I need to shift from my Ebay store to Omega Build A filter. I plan to take the store off Vacation Setting, but in the future check out Omegafilters BAF.

Bob

Interesting,

That would imply they sold the filter business or restructured.

I wonder if this is good, with cheaper higher quality filters.

Or bad, no more second run offs.

After my last experience, I told myself that I would not buy an other filter form them. But I would still like to have a second U330WB80 improved filter that actually works.

Interesting,

After my last experience, I told myself that I would not buy an other filter form them. But I would still like to have a second U330WB80 improved filter that actually works.

What was that experience?

I must admit, I'd use them more if I were in the US. However once you factor in the delivery to the UK and the customs fees it becomes less attractive.

While some of what I've ordered from there has been ok, I've had some filters which did not match the spectra provided with them. The response was 'they're seconds, it's not surprising if they don't exactly match the spectra'. Yes, they have some cheap stuff, but I also need to be able to rely on what I'm ordering.

As of today, 08Sep20, https://www.ebay.com/usr/bjomejag is showing 1050 items for sale.

Click on one and you see a banner stating "This seller is currently away. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order." This is the vacation setting.

If you visit his store there is a message stating "Due to recapitalization please check omega filters site. Best to fill out a build a filter form, and indicate the Ebay number and description."

Drilling down into the listings I found "If you are still not finding a good match, follow my links to Omega's Build a Filter. With a note to the effect that cosmetic seconds are acceptable, you will be surprised how economical an exact match can be."

So, perhaps not totally gone yet?

Interesting. The stuff was definitely all gone the other day, so I guess that was from "vacation mode" being turned on. It seems that for the moment one might be able to buy the cosmetic seconds but the procedure is to request them through the Build-a-Filter with a note?