UltravioletPhotography

UVF First tests with new (Nemo) torch

I've finally got around to testing the new (Nemo ?) torch against my Convoy. In the examples shown, the Nemo is in the centre, and Convoy on the right. All UVF exposures 10 seconds @ f/16, light painted. Because the subject is relatively small in relation to the torch I suspect the narrower beam of the Convoy compensates for the lower power. I will try to do some more using a more scientific approach!

Subjects are Rudbeckia "Marmalade" and Gazania (unknown variety)

Camera: Nikon D850 with 105mm micro Nikkor. 200 ISO

post-47-0-77984800-1598526563.jpg

post-47-0-37227000-1598526572.jpg

post-47-0-75902600-1598526583.jpg

Adrian, Great tests.

I see more red color in the Convoy shots, the pics on the right, at least with the rudbeckia shots.

Do you have filters installed in the Convoy torch, if so what filter are you using in the torch?

I am assuming you left the filter in the Nemo that came installed in it?

Thanks for the comments and queries.

The central "ring" of the Rudbeckia flower was around 2cm in diameter. The Gazania around 3cm.

My Convoy torch is fitted with a U-340 filter. Yes I left the supplied filter on with the new torch.

Both torches were held at the same distance (as near as possible) from the subject.

Adrian, To me they look very close, I don't see any difference in light intensity. Just the color, like I said, and I don't know why the color would be different.

I think the Nemo has ZWB2, being more like UG1 and U-360 than like U-340, however there is the question of that little blip in the visual range with the Nemo, I don't know how much that mixes into the results.

Myself, I have not noticed any fluorescence color difference between the two torches with my eyes, but I have not tried them with a camera yet.

Your D850 is stock? Any barrier filters being used on the lens?

If the green ring is behind the Zwb2 filter, then there is no visible signal.

But the Zwb2 will let through more 390nm than the U340 filter. However, my Nemo seemed to be fairly tight, without too much light above 390nm.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the generous assistance of UlfW, I finally got my eager hands on a pair of the NEMO torches. They are very powerful and hopefully I'll use them in a number of applications from now on.

Here is a quick and dirty example to show the NEMO in action. UVIVF of a floating-leaved community comprising Ricciocarpos natans and Lemna minor.

_ZZZ8705_Riccicarpos_lemna_UVIVF_NEMO_Z7v1.jpg

Nikon Z7, Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, NEMO

I for one will keep the fluorescent green ring on the front bezel as it reminds me the torch is switched on :smile:

Yes, and no. The air spaces are much more prominent in UVIVF. The dorsal structures of Lemna are better visible in either UV or visible light than in UVIVF.
There used to be a contest for best microscopy-as-art. I do not recall the name of it or any details, but this could easily have been one of the winning entries.

Well, image magnification here is just shy of 1:1 so would not qualify for 'microscope' photography :rolleyes:

Actually you just need a light microscope and image using light. Electron microscopy or magnetic scopes don't qualify.

But a stereo disection scope would, and I have seen a winner at 0.5x.

Thanks to the generous assistance of UlfW, I finally got my eager hands on a pair of the NEMO torches. They are very powerful and hopefully I'll use them in a number of applications from now on.

Here is a quick and dirty example to show the NEMO in action. UVIVF of a floating-leaved community comprising Ricciocarpos natans and Lemna minor.

post-2-0-25809300-1603183994.jpg

Nikon Z7, Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, NEMO

I for one will keep the fluorescent green ring on the front bezel as it reminds me the torch is switched on :smile:

Birna, Oh wow, this is an amazing photo! Wonderful. :smile: