Posted 19 August 2020 - 01:02

Here's an interesting link from New Scientist about sunburn risk from UV

https://www.newscien...isk-of-sunburn/

Dave

#2 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 971 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 01:27

In Oz you have a lot of UV (even though not much higher that in the rest of the world), so probably particularly useful in your country, but in any country really. Maybe it is easier to just apply sunscreen? Maybe it could be used by people with certain skin conditions who don't want to always have sunscreen on their skin?

I wonder if the reflected UV appearence also changes. Probably yes, but it would be nice to see it in an image.

#3 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:36

From purple to pink.
Can't say I have ever wanted purple or pink hair. Now electric blue would be cool.

#4 JMC

• Members+G
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:25

I remember playing around with photochromic dyes in moisturisers years ago - the idea being to change colour when you'd had too much UV exposure. My management wasn't impressed with the idea. Perhaps if I'd done it in the days of social media it'd have gained more traction.
Jonathan M. Crowther

http://jmcscientificconsulting.com

#5 nfoto

Former Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 20:13

I had visions of pink hair before I settled on dark red. Would be cool to have it doing double duty as a UV meter :grin:

#6 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 23:21

One has to wonder just how hard it is simply to check your watch in order to determine whether you'be been in the hot sun too long. :grin: But I do grant that seeing hair change its color would be lots more fun!
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#7 Øivind Tøien

• Members+G
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:47

Well, if the dye turned the hair gray if one stayed in the sun to long, perhaps time of sun exposure would be paid more attention. :smile:
Øivind