UltravioletPhotography

Want a cheap lens? Buy one with a camera attached.

I occasionally browse ebay to see what UV-friendly vintage lenses are on the market. I'm not looking for a lens - just curious.

It's quite amusing that it's cheaper to buy a lens that has a (removable) camera with it than just to buy the lens on its own - obviously because run-of-the-mill 35mm cameras don't command high prices, and the seller's mindframe is that he is selling a camera rather than a lens.

When I was looking for a f/3.5 35mm Prinz Galaxy, it was cheaper to buy one with a Praktica camera, and ask the seller not to send the camera body.

This evening I was looking at Cassar S (which I already have). There were two lens-only offerings, one at £250 in the UK and one at £500 from Australia. (Not sure the seller of the latter was too clued up - he quoted the maximum aperture as "f/2.0-8.0" and the brand as "Leica").

On the other hand, Cassar S lenses with Edixa cameras (M42 mount) are being offered for £104 and £124 (both from the same seller!), and a third one is up for auction with a starting price of £75.50 with no bids and 2 days to go.

So if you want to save money on a UV-friendly lens, look for one with a camera attached.