UltravioletPhotography

enricosavazzi

Improvised test image with Sony A7 II multispectral, Soligor 35 mm f/3.5 (Kuri clone), rear-mounted Sigma Y52 filter. This filter is from a set of 4 filters in 30.5 mm mounts that used to accompany the Sigma 500 and 600 mm catadioptric lenses. This appears to be a more-or-less standard yellow filter. Manually adjusted WB, but no channel swapping or other processing.

post-60-0-37990600-1597428690.jpg

My guess is that it is a yellow filter for b&w film, similar to K2 perhaps. Quite a bit of blue appears to pass the filter, although WB obscures this to an extent.

My guess is that it is a yellow filter for b&w film, similar to K2 perhaps. Quite a bit of blue appears to pass the filter, although WB obscures this to an extent.

How can you see that from just the image?

I have measured the transmission on several Y52 filters and so far all of them have been sharp cut long pass filters.

https://www.ultravio...__fromsearch__1

Not sure if I have any of this type from Sigma to measure. If I do I might come back with the transmission graph.

Looking at the graphs, perhaps I am mistaken indeed, assuming Y52 is a standard. I guess the odd color balance fooled me--when I photograph vegetation through a sharp-cutoff yellow filter, it usually comes out a blue-violet color, so I assumed something must be different. Perhaps just my camera.
enricosavazzi

Impossible to say, the pic doesn't look optimally white balanced.

Run the RAW through Photo Ninja, Color Correction, white balance it that way.

Well, doing that (Color Correction, Light Source=Daylight/Flash, Mode=Automatic) produces a picture with deep blue trees (royal blue, I would say) and violet sky. Not especially pleasing.

Manually setting Temperature=3700 gives me something partly similar to the image I posted above. I need to use also the Tint slider to get back the lemon-yellow sky.