UltravioletPhotography

I want to run around & set the world on UV

colinbm

Recently Ulf introduced us to Convoy S2+ has a challenger

I have just received one & I was blown away with its output !

So what have I got.....one of these rippers......eBay item number: 233620900023

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

So what does it do......& how does it compare....

** Note-These are all at 600mm from the entrance pupil.

First spectrum is a original Convoy S2+ with no filter glass.

Second is the Convoy S2+ improvement with no filter glass.

Third is the new kid on the block, said to be 15watts again no filter glass.

Forth the new 15w 365nm LED torch, WITH the filter in place.

post-31-0-06704000-1597218893.png

post-31-0-29582900-1597219024.png

post-31-0-62090900-1597219060.png

post-31-0-13232500-1597219104.png

Congratulation to a well performed measurement.

Your instrument is excellently well suited for these measurements.

It is very important to keep the distance closely equal as the intensity decays very quickly with increasing distance.

Are the measurements taken from the center of the hotspots?

A second also interesting measurement would be a comparison of the torches output without any reflectors or filters, still at 600mm distance.

Thanks Ulf, everything is possible....

I aimed the torches to get the best light on the entrance pupil, but I can see now that could have been done be better.

I will place a sheet of paper with a 20 mm hole in the centre of the sheet in front, so I can see properly see that the lights circle is exactly centred on the entrance pupil.

Yes I can do these tests again without the reflectors.

Ulf, the Convoy's are not that easy to remove the reflectors, as the older MTE torches or this new 15w one.

So I will just do the new 15w torch in the three configurations again, with the filter glass & reflector, without the filter glass but with the reflector & with the bare LED.

The three new tests with the new 365nm 15w LED.

I have used a sheet of paper with a 20mm hole to help centre the light beam.

First with just the bare LED inside the torch barrel.

Second with the reflector, no glass.

Third with the reflector & filter in place as originally supplied.

post-31-0-45607800-1597229402.png

post-31-0-17973500-1597229541.png

post-31-0-09043200-1597229575.png

Thanks, colin. In the first post, do you have the last two graphs switched? I ask because it seems like the last graph (which is supposed to be WITH the filter) is emitting past the 400nm line.

By the way, I also received my 15W torch yesterday.

Wow we all got this thing. I have two waiting to be played with that arrived yesterday.

We hold all our stuff for 3 days.

I find that 450nm hump interesting. I wonder if that is real. Odd to see that through zwb2. Its usually better than that.

I can't wait to test mine.

It seems like a significant amount of the 21 sold torches have been purchased by members of this forum. We all like a powerful UV torch.

Thanks, colin. In the first post, do you have the last two graphs switched? I ask because it seems like the last graph (which is supposed to be WITH the filter) is emitting past the 400nm line.

By the way, I also received my 15W torch yesterday.

Andy it seems I am getting varying results, even with care to get the centre of the beam over the entrance pupil....?

I am wondering if there are areas of varying intensities around the centre of the beam where you can see a faint four figured pattern from the four LEDS ?

I am wondering if there are areas of varying intensities around the centre of the beam where you can see a faint four figured pattern from the four LEDS ?

Basically a projection?

Actually looking more closely that last graph looks really good. There is clearly white space before the 400nm mark. More so than without the filter. Ending maybe about 390-395nm.

Then I wonder if the paper you are using for the 20mm hole is causing that noise I see greater than 420nm. Its not as strong in the paper free graphs. Also depending on the paper and additives, that signal should be about correct.

Looks to be a powerful UV light. Should be fun.

Thanks Dave, yes I should make the hole in the paper larger & place it below entrance pupil.....

Yes it puts out a good & useful 365nm light.

Actually looking more closely that last graph looks really good. There is clearly white space before the 400nm mark. More so than without the filter. Ending maybe about 390-395nm.

David, no? Like, I don't know what you are thinking there.

post-94-0-27898200-1597299964.png

Andy we are looking at different plots.

Colin's post #5 has 3 plots. The first is no reflector no filter.

The second is no filter but with reflector, peak max 0.229.

The third has filter and reflector and peak max is higher at 0.296. Alignment might be slightly off.

The third plot clearly cuts off at 390-395nm range.

I might break protocol and scan mine latter today.

Ah, I thought you were refererring to the original post, which was what I had commented on back on #6 with the same wording ("that last graph"). Okay I see what happened then.

It is now dark again here & I have sorted out all the bugs....the white paper is now behind the machine & out of sight of the entrance pupil, it is needed so I can aim the strongest part of the beam.

First, 'Nemo' 15watt 365nm LED with reflector only.....no filter glass.

Second, 'Nemo' 15watt 365nm LED with reflector & original filter in place.

post-31-0-95699400-1597306418.png

post-31-0-76442400-1597306452.png

Yup, it all makes sense now. You could take the CSV’s for those and replot it from 325 to 475 so the graph would be easier to read?

I ordered 2. I did a quick scan with the supplied battery before charging it.

Befoe charging it mine looked similar in intensity to my newest convoy. But flipping a charged 18650 battery in it looks stronger.

So will retest visual brightness test with fully charged batteries.

Interesting, my two lights have slightly different peak maximums. But really tight. One is 366nm the other almost 368nm. My newest convoys are 370nm peak maximums.

So these lights are closer to 365nm. I will need to retest with fully charged batteries. These things are really fat.

Thanks Andy....yes I have made graphs & charts before, decades ago, but I am having trouble finding the way to do it again....?
Just google “how to make a scatter chart in excel” and a million tutorials come up. You should learn because you will want to do it again sometime almost certainly with that spectrometer data.

Thanks Andy, yes some old brain cells sure need a good wake up call......

Scatter chart....I was looking at lines chart & not getting what I wanted...I will

persevere

Thank very much Andy.....YouTube is good, but not for the hearing impaired, I was born like that, & just don't get old.....:-(

This is the new 'Nemo' 15w 365nm torch with its reflector & original filter.

post-31-0-73376100-1597384839.jpg