UltravioletPhotography

Hoya Transmission Simulator Software

Cadmium

I just tried it out.

It doesn't do the cool and important things that the Schott filter calculation program does,

like diabatic graphs that show OD suppression in detail, and combined transmission of two or more glass types stacked.

It seems like a simple program mostly for comparing glass types and changing thickness.

Andy Perrin
Cadmium, if it can export data with more digits (less rounding) then you can take the data and use the Schott program to do the stacks and diabatic plots. The problem with Hoya was always lack of information.

Andy, That is an interesting idea, so I tried it, and the output has the same data drop out as the data sheets do,

for example U-360 no data (only "0") from 407nm to 691nm.

:sad:

However, it will output more detail, per nm, which would round out the curves, so there is that, but that was never really the problem for me, it is the lack of any data in large ranges that leave me guessing.

That's neat - I didn't know these things existed and painstakingly created my own tool, requiring entry of transmisison data.

Does anyone have a linlk for the Schott version?

The program can be used to create an Excel file containing the transmission data for any Hoya glass in the Hoya program, with 1nm resolution,

and that can then be copied into the Schott program.

Select internal transmission in the Hoya program, so the output file will be Ti data, because the Schott program runs off of Ti data.

This procedure will give your Schott program Hoya filter calculations 1nm resolution, rather than the 10nm resolution that the Hoya data sheets provide.

Either works, but the Hoya curves will be smoother with 1nm resolution.

You will still have huge ranges of missing Hoya data drop out, as I explained above. They are using the same data as their data sheets, just more resolution, but the same drop outs.

Another thing to be aware of is (at least for the U-360 plot) the Hoya program outputs 200nm to 1200nm per 1nm (with no data except 0.00 the visual range, aka drop out),

however, the Schott program accepts input in 1mm resolution between 200nm and 1100nm, above that, resolution is 5nm between 1100nm and 1200nm.

This may be a minor detail, but you will need to manually enter the input data for the 1100nm to 1200nm, or edit the output file prior to input, if you feel the need for the 1100nm to 1200nm.

What I did for my test was I just copied the 200nm to 1100nm from the output file into the Schott program and left the 1100 to 1200 empty.

The 1100nm to 1200nm can be important with some filters, other filters it may not be.

Steve, what do you think it would it take to get some good data for the Hoya filters where there currently isn't any (where it assumes '0')? Would getting them made at 0.5mm thickness be thin enough to see what is going on? One of the filter suppliers I use here in the UK advertises that they can make them with a min thickness of 0.5mm, and while I have no doubt it wouldn't be cheap it could be doable to measure the transmission spectra from.

I would have no problem getting good data from a 0.5mm thick glass, in the VIS range. Even 1mm would be reasonably OK.

The test-filter must allow an unobstructed transmission of a 6mm collimated beam.

If allowing for some mounting on a baffle Ø8mm or more would be needed.

Steve, what do you think it would it take to get some good data for the Hoya filters where there currently isn't any (where it assumes '0')? Would getting them made at 0.5mm thickness be thin enough to see what is going on? One of the filter suppliers I use here in the UK advertises that they can make them with a min thickness of 0.5mm, and while I have no doubt it wouldn't be cheap it could be doable to measure the transmission spectra from.

If you can do that, you should try the green leak from Hoya U-340.

If you can do that, you should try the green leak from Hoya U-340.

I do not have the thin filter glass.

I just ment that if I had I could with my spectrometer setup.

All, I have asked my supplier for a quote for a couple of 25mm diameter filters - U-340 and U-360 - in 0.5mm thickness.

Ok, would anyone be willing to contribute to the cost of these? I am happy to get them and run them, but they are not likely to be particularly useful for much afterwards. As a rough guess they are likely to be about 60GBP each, so I'd be happy for donations to help with the cost - say 20GBP from each of a few people, just to help with the overall costs.

How would people feel about doing that??

I will try to manually input data for every nanometer. No more "choppy" curves.

Stefano, You don't need to, except in the 1100 to 1200 range, which is every 5nm in the Schott program.

The Hoya data sheets have data for every 10nm. The Hoya program outputs an Excel file for every 1nm between 200nm and 1200nm.

All you have to do is either copy/past the Hoya output excel 200nm to 1100 data range into the Schott program, or edit the output file and remove all the data between 1100 and 1200 other than every 5nm, then copy/past that for the entire range 200nm to 1200nm.

Easy way to do it is just paste the 200nm to 1100nm.

Hoya doesn't include all of the Hoya C (blue-green type) filters in the Hoya program, but here are the ones they include, each saved as Excel data, then copy/pasted into the Schott program

(I have not entered the every 5nm data between 1100nm to 1200nm into the Schott program yet, it can be done later if needed).

Here I am comparing those Hoya filters with Schott S8612.

I don't know if there is any way to add other Hoya C filter data into the Hoya program, probably not, but of course those can be entered manually into the Schott program from the Hoya data sheets.

Make sure you export and use Internal Transmission data when pasting or entering data into the Schott program. Enter the filter glass name, the reference thickness, and reflection factor manually.

You may need to reference the Hoya data sheets for the reflection factor, because I don't see that info listed in the Hoya program or the output file.

post-87-0-17331200-1596673767.jpg