UltravioletPhotography

House boat, UV HDR

Andy Perrin

Andy Perrin

There's a new house boat on the Annisquam river where my mother lives in Gloucester, Massachusetts. I used it as a subject for a UV HDR shoot, using 3 photos.

Camera was the Sony A7S, lens was the El-Nikkor 80mm/5.6 metal. Filters were S86512 1.75mm + UG11 2mm.

The exposures were F/22, 1.6", and ISO 320, 640, 1250. WB was in-camera off PTFE (but done several days ago, so the light may have shifted...I meant to WB again but I forgot).

Raw conversion was in Photo Ninja. The HDR program was Aurora HDR (which I particularly like for its ability to adjust the sky and ground independently). Further adjustments were made in Photoshop.

post-94-0-67834800-1595881621.jpg

The three individual frames that were merged (and then further tweaked in Photoshop) are here:

post-94-0-85357500-1595881659.jpg

post-94-0-53286900-1595881669.jpg

post-94-0-04370500-1595881677.jpg

That looks so oddly out of place. Are you sure its a house boat or has flooding really gotten bad?

Interesting images.

In the merged photo, I think I see who lives there through the door. I don't see that in the individual photos.

Actually I am now surprised it worked as well as it did. You only changed the gain on the sensor between shots and didn't actually increase the amount of in comming light. Interesting.

Andy Perrin

Actually I am now surprised it worked as well as it did. You only changed the gain on the sensor between shots and didn't actually increase the amount of in comming light. Interesting.

There is ISO-less behavior of the sensor so really you are moving the histogram back and forth between images, not changing the analog gain, but the noise is (of course) different in each shot, so it averages out.

Andy Perrin

That looks so oddly out of place. Are you sure its a house boat or has flooding really gotten bad?

Interesting images.

In the merged photo, I think I see who lives there through the door. I don't see that in the individual photos.

Hahaha, of course it's a houseboat. But it's a tidal river, and it does get quite shallow there at low tide. At the moment it's resting on the sand in fact, but it wasn't above.

Re the individual photos and the vanishing owner, there is a "remove ghosts" option in most HDR programs that takes out inconvenient owners if they appear in only a few frames, and it was on, so that may explain it, but to be honest I don't see what you are talking about!

Andy Perrin
It’s possible but I didn’t remove it by hand, presumably the algorithm did. Or it’s just the well-known human ability to make patterns out of noise. Like constellations. The images were taken over the course of over a minute so it would be odd if a person held still for that long.
Andy Perrin

They definitely can be seen in the original images at full size but I'm not sure it's a person. It does move around, but so does the boat. It may just be the front windows as seen through the side windows?

post-94-0-07652200-1595989293.jpg

post-94-0-29307900-1595989301.jpg

post-94-0-61514800-1595989308.jpg

These are cropped 1:1 and contrast-adjusted to show the "man" to best advantage.

Mostly likely my brain and the motion creating a person from a ladder.

In the individual images it clearly looks like an aluminum ladder about 5 feet or so tall that I own.

Next trick on your brain, did you imagine a man or a woman from the crop I posted?

Fun how we see faces and shapes in the shadows and noise. I guess we are creative or something.

The human brain can be fooled very easily. It doesn't take much to manipulate us, we are quite "fragile" in that respect.

The human brain can be fooled very easily. It doesn't take much to manipulate us, we are quite "fragile" in that respect.

I think we are better prepared. To spot a potential attacker and be ready to jump. Even if it is just a ladder. But maybe I am becoming more American.

But maybe I am becoming more American.

oh my! "-)

At first glance - a person. But then at second glance - the "legs" were way too long.

This is an unusual photo. Is this a little house on an anchored dock? Or a house boat? Must be a good place to ride out the pandemic. Although a bit lonely perhaps. It's got a skylight and a nice front porch.

Andy Perrin
This is an unusual photo. Is this a little house on an anchored dock? Or a house boat? Must be a good place to ride out the pandemic. Although a bit lonely perhaps. It's got a skylight and a nice front porch.

There are no true houseboats in Gloucester. They are illegal. This is a structure that looks like a house on a floating platform (which is anchored, yes). And a harbormaster who looks the other way.