Some IR panos from today

bobfriedman

Nikon D800 ,Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S ,RG850

1/160s f/8 iso500 at 17mm

original.jpg

Nikon D800 ,Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S ,BG3

1/160s f/9 iso100 at 17mm

original.jpg

Bob, Nice to see today's IR panos. I guess I like the bottom one more, but only because of the clouds are nicer to me.

Other than that, I can't make up my mind which I like better.

Very nice, Bob. You're panos are in both directions - I've only ever tried single-axis panos. Must try double-axis.

What stitching tool do you use? I like Microsoft ICE and that allows for double-axis panos.

bobfriedman

Very nice, Bob. You're panos are in both directions - I've only ever tried single-axis panos. Must try double-axis.

What stitching tool do you use? I like Microsoft ICE and that allows for double-axis panos.

these are spherical panos with the bottom cropped to hide the tripod legs. I use PTGui for stitching.

When doing spherical panoramas you normally end up with the equirectangular projection as a base projection when all source images are joined.

From that you then generate a suitable framing and output projection.

Depending on panorama program you might have different options available for that.

https://wiki.panotools.org/Projections

Each projection has its own merits that might be usable depending on the situation and motif.

Bob, remember, like in the 1400s or whenever it was, when people thought the earth was contained within crystalline spheres within spheres within spheres? That's what these photos remind me of because of the way the tree spreads across the top as though it had reached the surface of the first sphere and had to spread out to keep growing.
bobfriedman

Bob, remember, like in the 1400s or whenever it was, when people thought the earth was contained within crystalline spheres within spheres within spheres? That's what these photos remind me of because of the way the tree spreads across the top as though it had reached the surface of the first sphere and had to spread out to keep growing.

so the equirectangular projection introduces distortions that the are not really there in the image. If was to take and segment (overhead for example) and view just that as single frame it would appear linear exactly as shot.