UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Oregon, USA

alan_b

Hi everyone, glad to find this corner of the web!

I'm an architectural photographer by trade, and play with IR for fun. Currently using a wide-spectrum converted D800, mostly for black & white IR of industrial and human-altered landscapes.

I've also been experimenting with a Kolari IR Chrome filter, but discovering that dual-spectrum imaging is challenging my lenses. That's what lead me here in the quest for learning more about that. Another experiment I have yet to get around to is blue end of visible + UV -> black & white, looking for a response similar to wet-plate processes.

Cheers,

Alan

I never 'welcome people' on here, but since no one else did, and since you live in my state, I welcome you. :smile:

I don't know about wet-plate. Someone else will need to talk about that.

Welcome to UVP, a friendly and peaceful corner of the photographic cyberspace.

There are certainly lots of options and filters to emulate the ancient spectral response of non-panchromatic films. Filter discussions and charts are plentiful here on UVP.

The wet plate look I think is being simulated with either a Bg25 or BG3 filter and isolating the blue channel response using 4channels software from libraw or other channel specific software.

It will be interesting to see your results. I have only read one blog post about simulating wet plate look, without seeing too many people doing it.

This was the post:

http://www.philwarrenphotography.com/recreating-1850s-vintage-photography-and-ir/

Andy Perrin

The Warren page was quite interesting although I noticed that he ignores the effects of camera gain in UV. That would need to be considered as a next step since the film response extended almost to 330 nm without much falloff.

Probably that would not matter so much for sunshine (in wet plate or digital) but I wonder what the spectrum of flash powder was?

Andy the whole beginning of the page was about analyzing the spectral response of the wet plate and finding the BG3 or Bg25 filter to cut off below 520nm. I don't think he ignored the UV of the plate at all.

But assumed using sunlight was more restricted to the lower energy band of UV.

You do have a great point about flash powder though. No doubt that would emit down to UVC shifting the weight to deeper UV captures with the plate.

But if we assume the chickens are perfectly spherical. (Old physics joke) I mean we are only using sunlight, than this assumption maybe valid.

Andy Perrin
David, I said he ignored the effects of camera gain (which chops the shorter stuff out) not that he ignored UV altogether. He is probably mostly right that the longer waves would dominate things anyhow in sunshine but at the end he starts talking about monochrome conversions which seems like skipping a step when he hasn’t taken care of the camera gain issue yet.
Hello and welcome. I did speculate on the relationship between UV and wet-plate images a couple of years ago in this post. I included a few faux-vintage attempts of my own. If you really want the closest approximation with digital gear, you might try using a 510nm short pass filter on a lens that transmits UV (I don't have such a filter myself, but I understand they exist.) Even a Baader U2 filter or a B+W 403 comes somewhat close to achieving that look.
  • 6 months later...
Hello Alan from the other Admin and apologies for being so late! I hope you have been enjoying UVP and finding useful information. Please make some posts and show us what you have been doing. :smile: