UltravioletPhotography

So here is a shot I really liked but I couldn't decide which one of the two edits I prefer the most. It's an old sanatorium at the top of Parnitha mountain in Athens Greece. The location is very dramatic especially during the afternoon. I've used a full spectrum converted Nikon D5000 with the IR Chrome filter from Kolarivision. I'm falling in love with this little filter and how results turn up out of camera. I'm really interested to see what you guys think.

post-312-0-01002400-1595063299.jpg

post-312-0-34782300-1595063320.jpg

I prefer the second - more dramatic. It would have been interesting to see a straight IR B&W image, to have bright white foliage contrasting with the darker ruined building.

I like the red accents in the first one.

Normally, the IR Chrome tends to render leaves and foliage as orange. Did you adjust the orange/ reds, in-camera, or post ?

The second one is quite grim, but it does have that horror movie charm.

I like the composition. There is some gear or other stuff on one of the upper balcony-like areas that I find a bit distracting--was this yours? The red accents on the IGB image are striking, but the overall cyan cast bothers me a bit. I don't like the straight IR image as much--the foliage tends to disappear into the pale building behind it. which weakens the lines of the image.

The first conveys the rustic look, but with a bit of life.

The last is death to all.....

Heh indeed, the second one is a lot more towards the horror side of things. I even thought about having it printed but I'm not sure I want that dark of a picture hanging on a wall :lol:

I prefer the second - more dramatic. It would have been interesting to see a straight IR B&W image, to have bright white foliage contrasting with the darker ruined building.

Yeah it would be interesting but I never thought about taking a straight IR image of it. I'll keep it in mind though for the next time I happen to drive by that place again. A comparison should be interesting and the bright white foliage might actually settle the tie between these two.

I like the red accents in the first one.

Normally, the IR Chrome tends to render leaves and foliage as orange. Did you adjust the orange/ reds, in-camera, or post ?

The second one is quite grim, but it does have that horror movie charm.

Usually when I have the WB set to Auto foliage turns out as bright orange. I tend to play with in camera to get a more reddish look and then finally fix it in post process. I've made a lightroom preset that gets me pretty much that kind of result with the IR chrome and then adjust manually for the final details so that I can speed up the process.

I like the composition. There is some gear or other stuff on one of the upper balcony-like areas that I find a bit distracting--was this yours? The red accents on the IGB image are striking, but the overall cyan cast bothers me a bit. I don't like the straight IR image as much--the foliage tends to disappear into the pale building behind it. which weakens the lines of the image.

I never noticed any other equipment in the picture and I'm failing to see it even now :blink:

You're referring to the second one as straight IR right? It's not straight IR unfortunately, it's the same shot as the first one just converted to black and white. To be honest, if it was a straight IR perhaps the bright white of the foliage would pop out more. The lines of the image would probably be better, I'll make sure to give it a go next time I visit that place.

Sorry for the second post, for some reason I was unable to fit this reply to the previous post :wacko:

Manos, I am curious about the clouds. They look like they are motion blurred like one would get from a long exposure such as with a neutral density filter,

yet the trees don't seem to have any movement from wind. So I am a little confused about that.

The clouds have a really nice look to them, and help make the photos dynamic.

How did you get the filter to do red? I have one, I and most people I have seen post examples show orange.

What is your trick to get red instead of orange.

Nice work, Manos.

Both versions have their merits, depending on what kind of mood you want to emphasize.

There is another interesting photo to make at this location. Go closer and shoot upwards through the leaves at the grafitti on the wall. :smile:

The fist one implies life outside and hope. I also liked what looked like unicorn graffiti on second floor with red accent.

The second one reminds me of this:

http://www.montypyth...ts/architec.php

hahahaha I wasn't aware of that gem you linked, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Fun fact, this place has been a hotel other than being a sanatorium.

Thanks a lot for the comment!

Manos, I am curious about the clouds. They look like they are motion blurred like one would get from a long exposure such as with a neutral density filter,

yet the trees don't seem to have any movement from wind. So I am a little confused about that.

The clouds have a really nice look to them, and help make the photos dynamic.

How did you get the filter to do red? I have one, I and most people I have seen post examples show orange.

What is your trick to get red instead of orange.

Indeed it can be a bit confusing. I added the motion blur to the clouds in post processing since I thought it would make the scene a lot more dynamic. To be honest I did have the idea of blurry clouds when I was there, but I didn't have my nd with me at that time. Regarding the red color of the filter, I've made a lightroom preset I like to apply to photos taken with IR chrome that does that shifting and makes the scene more dramatic in general. Sometimes it turns them into glowing red and others into red/magenta-ish depending on the initial exposure. I'd be more than happy to share it if you or others would be interested.

Nice work, Manos.

Both versions have their merits, depending on what kind of mood you want to emphasize.

There is another interesting photo to make at this location. Go closer and shoot upwards through the leaves at the grafitti on the wall. :smile:

Thanks a lot, much appreciated! Very good point I didn't think of that point of view. I'll make sure to keep it in mind next time!