UltravioletPhotography

A Flower I Don't Know

This little flower measures about 12mm-15mm in diameter when fully open. It is new to my yard as far as I know. I don't know what it is.

It is a little like a miniature dandelion.

I have two sets of shots, same kind of flower, but two different flowers. The first is shot more in the sun and is more open, the second is shot more in the shade and is more closed

Note the swirled color on the back of the petals that are not opened, in the UV and BUG shots in set #1 (upper right).

Nikon D7000 UVIR, UV-Nikkor 105mm.

Set #1

Visual (Schott BG38)

post-87-0-73910500-1594961246.jpg

UV (Hoya U-360 2mm + Schott S8612 2mm)

post-87-0-80203700-1594961266.jpg

BUG (Schott UG5 1.5mm + S8612 2mm)

post-87-0-67752400-1594961284.jpg

Side by side

post-87-0-09098800-1594961384.jpg

Set #2

Visual (Schott BG38)

post-87-0-67374900-1594961565.jpg

UV (Hoya U-360 2mm + Schott S8612 2mm)

post-87-0-09767100-1594961672.jpg

BUG (Schott UG5 1.5mm + S8612 2mm)

post-87-0-77480700-1594961700.jpg

IR (Schott RG9)

post-87-0-05810000-1594961726.jpg

Side by side

post-87-0-14663800-1594961742.jpg

These look great. It must be a type of dandelion. I think I remember Birna saying there are 100s of different types of just dandelions.

I think I like the suttle accent of the green tips better than the full out in the open green center.

Thanks! :smile:

I have to say, this UV-Nikkor 105mm, is addicting. It is so perfect for flowers, the distance, and put the extension tube on it (Nikon PN-11) it to get closer shots.

Sharp too.

Please consider there was a lot of gentle but relentless wind today. The answer is blowing in the wind they say.

Dandelions never have branched stems.

As to the ID, there are simply too many genera in this family to make an educated guess. Showing the entire plant and foliage alwways is required in rder to arrive at an ID.

That being said, nice photos which also show what the UV-Nikkor can deliver. It certainly is "addictive" for UV aficionados.

Maybe this will help. Cloudy today, but this should give an idea of the entire plant.

There is another plant, which has a similar slightly larger flower, but it has a broad leafy ground base (kind of like a dandelion would have), but the flower I show above

doesn't have a broad leafy ground base, it just has the leaves on the stem.

Take a look and compare, see what you think:

The flower/plant above.

post-87-0-54734800-1594998383.jpg

The other flower plant with broad leafy ground base (not in any of the photos above, just for comparison).

post-87-0-18022300-1594998487.jpg

Leontoodon, Picris, Hieracium, Crepis, Scorzonera, .... the list goes on and on. Use Flora of North America which is an eFlora to key out the relevant options.

Leontoodon, Picris, Hieracium, Crepis, Scorzonera, .... the list goes on and on.

I looked at images of all the species you cited. They are very similar indeed. That's very confusing... maybe even a trained eye has trouble distinguishing them.
They are well delineated as far as Asteracean genera go. However, this family *is* the biggest of them all with 25K + species. Use the Flora keys.
Bill De Jager
If it helps any, this plant appears to be in the Cichorieae tribe within the Asteraceae. That narrows things down quite a bit but still leaves many genera and thousands of species as possibilities.

The rays, growth habit and basal leaves indicate a Crepis species. Several Crepis species grow in your county, Cadmium. I will key this later after I finish my remaining tax return.

Note that the basal leaves wrap around the stem and have "ears", extensions at the stem end.

Added: sorry forgot to add.....

.....indicate a Crepis or a Hieracium species.

I was looking at the whole plant photos and not sure which corresponds to what.

Wait a sec. I think I got confused.

For the flower you photographed in UV, which of the photos in Post #9 correspond to it.

The flower has only one series of phyllaries, so it is not a Hawkweed (Hieracium species).

So I have at this point either Crepis or Picris ***IF*** the seeds are not beaked.

I suggest Crepis setosa for further investigation.

Here is a reference link from Oregon State University: https://oregonstate....sbeard_page.htm

The plant on the left is C. setosa.

Scroll down to see photos #3 and #4 on the left. They show the clasping, "eared" leaf which looks just like in your photo.

In this OSU reference, the poster refers to two rows of phyllaries on C. setosa under the last photo on the left.

I interpreted your flower as having one row of phyllaries and some underlying calyculi.

It is probably la même différence.

These are very nicely photographed, Cadmium.

To identify a flower like this, I first goto the USDA Plants Database and make a list of the flora in the given county of the given state. Then I narrow that down to the obvious candidates. In this case I wanted to look at Picris, Crepis and Hieracium, because I knew the leaves were not correct for Hypochaeris or Leontondon. And the flower itself told me that it was not a Latuca, Mycelis, Tragopogon, Sonchus, Latuca or any other similar flower.

I'm familiar with most of the Hieracium, so I was reasonably sure from the start that this was not a Hieracium. One can get easily confused with Hieracium if attempting detailed identification of species, but Hieracium are easy enough to rule out. Picris I do not know well, but the given state has only Picris echioides, which was quickly ruled out. So I was left with Crepis and quickly drilled down to C. setosa. Easy to guess that was the one after seeing the hairiness in Cadmium's photos, but I did look at a Crepis key. And I also looked at an iPad app, Oregon Wildflowers to get a handle on some visuals before keying.

Given that the Flora of North America has 20 volumes, the described method is really the only way to get a handle on an unknown flower. There's no way I could start directly with the Asteraceae in FNA !!!

I love these detailed analysis.

I was just thinking its a yellow flower.

I also now think it looks like the flower in my neighbor yard that I picked and photographed to test out the raspberry pi in UV thinking it was a dandelion. Same branched stem.

Fortunately, it had the same dark center like a Dandelion. For UV tests.

Yeah, I was more just taking a photo of a yellow flower. :smile:

That's for all the flower name suggestions, but so far I have not seen flower suggestion that I think are this flower.

For example, although there are many similarities to some of the photos on this link, all of those example have a tuft of ground level leaves.

https://oregonstate....sbeard_page.htm

My flower has absolutely no ground leaves, just a stem, with leaves further up.

No ground leaves.

post-87-0-15289200-1595046418.jpg

To confuse things further, there are quite a few introduced species in North America (e.g. Sonchus spp.) which may or may not appear in standard references.