UltravioletPhotography

Trollskogen

enricosavazzi

Trollskogen (=Troll Forest) is located near the northern tip of the Island of Öland. In spite of its relative closeness to the alvar biotope of my latest posts, it is ecologically completely different.

Full-spectrum Sony A7 II, AI Nikkor 24 mm f/2.8 and rear-mounted orange filter. Some contrast and white balance (different in each picture) adjustments, no channel swapping.

The biggest problem at this location was shooting scenes that did not contain tourists trampling around the place. We gave up stopping at other photographically interesting locations today because parking lots were full and/or the places were packed full with people, no social distancing, no masks in sight. Almost as crowded as Yellowstone National Park on a pre-Covid summer weekend.

post-60-0-06320900-1594912869.jpg

post-60-0-37365800-1594912897.jpg

post-60-0-17723300-1594912850.jpg

post-60-0-88280600-1594912860.jpg

post-60-0-24124600-1594912878.jpg

post-60-0-48799400-1594912887.jpg

That last one is beautiful!! It appears as though long troll fingers are reaching up the tree trunk.

I also like the light/dark contrasts in #1 and in #4.

Enrico, be careful !! No masks and no physical distancing are a combination for disaster.

enricosavazzi
[...]

Enrico, be careful !! No masks and no physical distancing are a combination for disaster.

I completely agree. Rather surprisingly, Swedish authorities are saying that they did not see any spike in infections since the beginning of the holiday season (which here begins somewhere between mid-June and end of June). Keeping fingers crossed and wearing a mask whenever forced to share indoors locations with non-family-members, which is rarely in my case.

A very nice coastal mixed conifer forest. I encounter similar on the islands next to the Swedish west coast border.

The 24mm lens does hot spot a little, but not to any detrimental degree.

C-19 upset my planned visit to Sweden this summer. Given the current situation not sure I can make it next summer. Sweden is on the no-no list for us and likely to stay there for a while. Strange as we normally cross the Norwegian-Swedish border without any formalities.

enricosavazzi
[...]

C-19 upset my planned visit to Sweden this summer. Given the current situation not sure I can make it next summer. Sweden is on the no-no list for us and likely to stay there for a while. Strange as we normally cross the Norwegian-Swedish border without any formalities.

It does feel strange at first sight, but is on the other hand understandable because Sweden did not instate mandatory lockdowns and masks, kept schools open, and consequently had roughly five times more deaths pro capita than neighboring Nordic countries.

Swedish authorities now estimate (or more precisely, guess, because no mass testing has been done) that 40% of Stockholm's population has been infected, and is therefore close to achieving herd immunity. I heard pretty similar statements also months ago, though. Other parts of Sweden have had very much lower infection percentages. According to https://covid19.healthdata.org/sweden , Sweden's transmission rate has been well below R=1 since mid-April and there is as yet no sign of a second wave.

Andy Perrin
Wait, 40% is close to herd immunity? That sounds very unlikely to me (estimates I’ve seen for herd immunity were ~70%). On top of that there have been reports of infection possibly not leading to any immunity at all, or to only temporary immunity of a few months. That would surely affect any herd immunity calculation and possibly implies no such thing is possible.
enricosavazzi

Wait, 40% is close to herd immunity? That sounds very unlikely to me (estimates I’ve seen for herd immunity were ~70%). On top of that there have been reports of infection possibly not leading to any immunity at all, or to only temporary immunity of a few months. That would surely affect any herd immunity calculation and possibly implies no such thing is possible.

The Swedish government is stating herd immunity is achieved anywhere between 45 and 80%, so their statement that they are close to it in one area of Sweden is, at best, indeed very optimistic. That is one of several problems with this statement, and not even the worst of the problems. Their statement seems to be mostly a PR exercise stretching scientific credibility very thin, just to keep people quiet.