UltravioletPhotography

HDR UV rooftops

Andy Perrin

I'm trying to practice with Aurora HDR to learn how to do HDR. UV images have a large dynamic range, so it seems like they would be a good candidate for HDRing (if that's a verb).

El-Nikkor 80mm/5.6 metal + UG11 2mm + S8612 1.75mm

F/11, ISO100, and 0.5", 1", 2", 4", 15", 30" combined.

post-94-0-17689900-1594868017.jpg

Andy,

Exactly, what I was thinking. UV has an amazing detail and capabilities. The depth in distance is tricky due to haze, but I think with work could work.

I look forward to seeing more of your images down the road.

Unfortunately I don't get your same violets, my colors are duller. That's probably my lens.

Anyway, if I understand, IR images showing trees and the sky should have an even larger dynamic range, because of the big difference in brightness. In UV the dynamic range is large probably because the sky is bright and tends to overexpose. Maybe in IR this could be used to have correctly exposed white trees and a nice yellow sky behind them (using an Hoya R72).

Andy Perrin

Stefano, it’s usually not a problem in IR because (ignoring color for sake of discussion) we WANT the sky to be nearly black, so we just assign most of the gray shades to the bright side of the histogram and allow the sky to underexpose. If you HDR in infrared, you would end up with gray skies and gray leaves.

In the UV landscapes, though, everything likes to absorb light, so you get everything below the sky as a muddy mess. And usually it’s too dark and low contrast to make pleasing images, hence the lack of UV landscape photos.

I don't understand why IR HDR would yield gray skies and gray leaves. I agree this would be the case using a "dark" filter, like RG850 or RG1000, but you should get colors with R72 or filters below 800 nm.
Andy Perrin
But anyway, the point is that you would lose all the contrast that makes IR nice to look at. With UV landscapes, it's the opposite situation and there is not enough contrast available in anything except the sky, everything below the sky is muddy.
I finally understood what you meant. IR photos would look quite boring and less "dreamy". But I really like the yellow sky you get with R72. I have a nice yellow sky image, I don't think it would be appropriate to post it in your thread, I maybe will do it in another topic started by me.