UltravioletPhotography

Summer's First Rudbeckia Flower

Here is my first Rudbeckia flower of the summer just starting to bloom out.

D7000 UV/IR, UV-Nikkor 105mm.

U-360 2mm + S8612 2mm, UV

post-87-0-76095500-1594770556.jpg

U-330 1.5mm + S8612 2mm, UV+Blue+Green, 'Bee Vision' stack.

post-87-0-08225300-1594770564.jpg

Schott RG9, 720nm IR longpass/bandpass (see the bug?).

post-87-0-06453600-1594770571.jpg

Nice images Steve. One day I too want rudbeckias to photograph. I will have to find the seeds or the flowers somewhere. I think they have the best UV nectar guides off all flowers (I know). In visible light they are completely (or almost) invisible, while in UV they are very visible, black and sharply defined.
Andy Perrin
Some lovely colors here, even in the NIR! I have found that in SWIR, the asteraceae family seem to give the most interesting responses.

I have found that in SWIR, the asteraceae family seem to give the most interesting responses.

I did a quick search, and you didn't yet try a dandelion. Maybe it has a dark center in SWIR too...

Thanks! :smile:

A reminder example of white balance.

I am using Photo Ninja.

Left = some arbitrary in camera preset white balance. Right = full frame white balance using Photo Ninja, color correction, click drag eye dropper, upper corner to lower opposite cornet, selecting the full frame.

Alternatively, If you wish to apply a white balance target to the shot, then my preference is to shoot a separate shot of the target in the same light, same filter, exposing the target shot for the target only,

then crop the target, then white balance that from RAW the same method in your software, then copy the WB setting, then load the desired photo and past the WB setting to the desired photo.

post-87-0-96566600-1594779471.jpg

I really like the U330 stacked shot. Maybe I finally have warmed up to the green.

I will have to test that out if I get flowers again.

David, Thanks! I also like the UV+Blue+Green stack. I always like shooting both UV-only and UV+Blue+Green as a comparison, they both look good for different reasons,

but the UV+Blue+Green (BUG, Bee Vision, UG5/U330) stacks have an added color which looks good.