UltravioletPhotography

Stora Alvar landscape

enricosavazzi

Over at https://www.ultravio...t-karums-alvar/ , Bernard asked me whether I tried NIR imaging the megaliths and stone circles at Karums Alvar. I did not, but today I shot some UV and IR at Stora Alvaret (=The Big Alvar) of southern Öland. No man-made structures here, but the bedrock is often exposed, or covered by a thin layer of mud (some of it wet, most dry).

Full-spectrum Sony A7 II, AI Nikkor 24 mm f/2.8 and rear-mounted orange filter (a very cheap no-brand second-hand filter). Some contrast and white balance (different in each picture) adjustments, no channel swapping. Good weather, unlike two days ago at Karums Alvar. Not quite what I expected, but fancy images nonetheless.

PS - Note the black cows in the distance in the first picture. They are brown or piebald in VIS. One of them took an interest in me after a while, and I decided to leave, with the cow following me for quite a while.

post-60-0-37898600-1594579300.jpg

post-60-0-17348200-1594579334.jpg

post-60-0-20111900-1594579379.jpg

I am enjoying the last one also. But the first two make good use of the false greens. I particularly like how the clouds seem to reflect the false green of the plants. The dark skies in all 3 add to the dramatic effect.

That cow was of course curious about your converted Sony A7II.

UV + IR makes for an unusual look, doesn't it? I sometimes wonder what viewers think about these false color UV, IR or UV+IR photos? I find them dramatic and enticing, but I've had some number of years to become familiar with their looks. When I am making such photographs myself, I like how the different filters -- or no filter -- helps me to "see" different aspects of a scene which I might not otherwise notice.

UV+IR is one of my favourite looks. It depends on the filter, but you get white foliage and a blue sky. Sometimes (especially in the evening) you get yellow-green foliage and blue-violet sky. You have a natural-looking sky and the dreamy white foliage.