UltravioletPhotography

Hello From USA/East WA

7ehfrr

Hello

I'm interested in both uv reflected and UV fluorescence photos. Generally interested in photography that pushes the camera's limits; e.g. astrophotography, infrared, ultraviolet, shortwave ultraviolet, extremely low light, very long/short exposures, high hazard environments, etc.

I take UV photos of the same random things I take visible light photos of with a Baader U Venus filter on my full spectrum Nikon D5500. Largely but not limited to landscapes and nature in the Pacific NW (USA).

Currently interested in learning how to improve my UV results and see what others are doing. Eventually I want to figure out the Nikon El-Nikkor 1:5.6 80mm enlarging lens I picked up and shoot shorter wavelengths, I think the 70mm-200mm lens I like to use is working against me for UV.

Andy Perrin

Hi, nice to meet you!

Yes, "pushing the camera's limits" is a good description of what we do around here. Certainly the El-Nikkor 80mm/5.6 (metal) would help you get the shorter end of UVA, and it's also my sharpest lens of any kind. Except for being manual and a bit slow, it's one of my favorite lenses.

You will have plenty of company on the Nikon, including Andrea and Birna.

My interests are in computational imaging, shortwave infrared photography, UV reflectography, thermography, and using typically unnoticed properties of light and materials to get unique images (for example dark water at the 976nm absorption peak).

Thanks!

Thermography is interesting. I think I just about have my boss onboard with one of those FLIR systems for characterizing unknown tanks and lines.

First time Ive seen the water effect - I like it.

I'm used to looking at neutron absorption peaks, but it makes sense to see it in photons too.

Probably one of the most unique light sources Ive been able to take a pic of is Cherenkov radiation (will post one once I figure out the image hosting)

Hi welcome!

Great landscapes in east WA! Quite a couple of years ago I spent about 8 month in the Capital of the Inland Empire and had the chance to travel a lot through WA. Cherenkov radiation sounds a bit like You mightl live a bit further south, Tri Cities?

• 1 month later...

That would be the place. Cherenkov was from cesium capsules underwater

Hi welcome!

Great landscapes in east WA! Quite a couple of years ago I spent about 8 month in the Capital of the Inland Empire and had the chance to travel a lot through WA. Cherenkov radiation sounds a bit like You mightl live a bit further south, Tri Cities?

• 6 months later...
Hello and welcome to UVP! Have you found good info about that EL-Nikkor 80/5.6 enlarger lens? It gets quite a lot of use from members along with other ELs. Looking forward to your contributions.