UltravioletPhotography

Hello from the UK

Jon2070

Hello Everyone,

I'm in Yorkshire and I hope to learn more about UVIVF and perhaps apply it to my other interests of Land(Night)scape, Portrait and Macro photography.

I have not done any UVIVF at all so far, I will make a separate post with a few equipment questions.

Jon.

Hi, Jon. Welcome on board.

It's not really my area, but there is some fantastic UVIVF stuff around on this forum.Enjoy.

Andy Perrin

Hi, nice to meet you! I can see how you could use UV fluorescence for macro work and even portraits, but it's going to take some real creativity to use it for landscapes! And one heck of a powerful light source. That said, I've seen it used to light up nearby objects in astrophotography, like in this photo (please forgive the instagram link):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB2uPKkMv3-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Light painting a landscape in the dark may be doable with some intense convoy UV lights.

The Olympus cameras have a light painting mode, live composite mode, which I still have to play with more. I am waiting for a more powerful Cheap led head my self to solder onto my weak convoy. Hopefully, that would help me in that mode.

It collects images up to 3 hrs on my cameras and only records the newly added light.

Quite interesting.

Andy Perrin

Light painting a landscape in the dark may be doable with some intense convoy UV lights.

Yes, that method was used by the guy in the Instagram post I linked (he told me). Light painting with two UV torches. Some interesting fluorescence from the water there.

Greeting Jon.

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you? I spent most of my early life growing up along the east coast of of Yorkshire and have fond memories of the place.

Jonathan

Thank you very much everyone for the warm welcome!

Yes the landscape work would definitely be at night time, a foreground object as you say Andy, it is more of an afterthought, I will probably start off with Macro/still life and then try portraits with the nightscapes coming later, thank you Stefano for the link.

Hi Jonathan (I am also Jonathan - the way that it should be spelt ;)), Doncaster, so not quite as nice as the East coast of Yorkshire, but its not too far away.

Bernard and Jonathan, I see that you are both also in the UK, where do you source your filters from? So far eBay seems to be the only option I have found, either the cheaper ZWB filters from China or the Hoya/Schott filters from the US.

Hi Jon(athan),

I've had at least 6 different ways of having my name spelt over the years....

The filter question is an interesting one, and a question which will cause empassioned discussion on here.

The simple answer is 'it depends'. For my research I get some filters from Edmund Optics, Thorlabs and UQG (all in the UK), but often these are not ideal for general photography. When the exchange rate is not too bad, or I want top class filters designed for photographers, I use UVIRoptics in the US (Cadmium on here). Keep in mind there is Customs and import duty fees to pay on those if they are shipped into the UK though. Also, some of the filters will need to be properly stored and cleaned regularly, as the surfaces of some glasses can be damaged by humidity.

I have some filters from Omegabob on eBay. They tend to be cheap(ish), but my experience is that they can deviate from the spectra provided for them, so it can be a bit of a lottery.

Baader U, I just got from an astronomy supplier, and then put it in a 49mm filter ring.

Chinese filters. I have some. They are cheap, but do not rely on data from the manufacturers as being particularly accurate or trustworthy. They also can have more surface defects such as ripples (mine do).

Basically it depends on what you want to spend, and what you are going to use the images for. I do UV imaging for work, so need filters I can trust, and have well defined specs. But that costs more.

Hi Jon(argan),

I've had at least 6 different ways of having my name spelt over the years....

The filter question is an interesting one, and a question which will cause empassioned discussion on here.

The simple answer is 'it depends'. For my research I get some filters from Edmund Optics, Thorlabs and UQG (all in the UK), but often these are not ideal for general photography. When the exchange rate is not too bad, or I want top class filters designed for photographers, I use UVIRoptics in the US (Cadmium on here). Keep in mind there is Customs and import duty fees to pay on those if they are shipped into the UK though. Also, some of the filters will need to be properly stored and cleaned regularly, as the surfaces of some glasses can be damaged by humidity.

I have some filters from Omegabob on eBay. They tend to be cheap(ish), but my experience is that they can deviate from the spectra provided for them, so it can be a bit of a lottery.

Baader U, I just got from an astronomy supplier, and then put it in a 49mm filter ring.

Chinese filters. I have some. They are cheap, but do not rely on data from the manufacturers as being particularly accurate or trustworthy. They also can have more surface defects such as ripples (mine do).

Basically it depends on what you want to spend, and what you are going to use the images for. I do UV imaging for work, so need filters I can trust, and have well defined specs. But that costs more.

Thank you Jonathan, I'd like to start off at the cheaper end and go from there ideally to see how it get on with it. I started AP with just the DSLR and tripod that I already had and now a few years later I have a dedicated cooled mono camera, broadband and narrowband filters, mount, telescope etc....

For UVIVF I'm not sure that I will require the same level of equipment that you are using for your professional work, yes Cadmium has been helpful in another thread that I started and he does have the ideal solution, but alas the exchange rate is terrible and as you say there will be customs and import duty fees on top of that.

I cannot find Omegabob on the UK or the US eBay?

Hi Jon, firstly, I just realised predictive text mucked up my attempt to be funny with playing with the spelling of Jonathan. I've corrected it now and won't be a smart arse in future.

The filters from omegabob are sold under the name bjomejag on eBay, and hes based in the US. Some on here rate him highly, I've had mixed results.

Hi Jon, firstly, I just realised predictive text mucked up my attempt to be funny with playing with the spelling of Jonathan. I've corrected it now and won't be a smart arse in future.

The filters from omegabob are sold under the name bjomejag on eBay, and hes based in the US. Some on here rate him highly, I've had mixed results.

No worries, no offense taken, I figured it would be something like that

Corrected version after hastily typing on my phone took liberties with spelling and posted twice; No worries, no offence taken, I figured it would be something like that :)

• 7 months later...
Hello Jon and welcome to UVP. I hope you are finding good info here and beginning your journey into UVIVF. It is a fascinating area for photography.