UltravioletPhotography

Rosco 74 Night Blue

A Stranger In The Wind

A Stranger In The Wind

Last week an exciting week for me of filter arrivals. Received my UG2A, always impressed with what Bob does with his. Took it out on Canada Day, I still need to experiment as I get green foliage with the blue sky.

Later in the week I received my Roscolux, Cinegel and Opti-flecs swatch books. After some cutting some of them down to approximately 75mmx75mm I did a few tests yesterday.

I used a custom white balance shot off of a Kodak grey card with each filter and the Rosco 74 Night Blue surprised me. Straight out of camera just a very slight adjustment in levels.

Rosco_74_Night_Blue_IMG_9862.jpg

5DMKII full spectrum, Zeiss ZE 35/f2 - There is a hotspot (I forgot when I chose to use the 35/f2 that it does have hot spots)

What was surprising is it has the Goldie Look OG 590 without any channel swapping in Photoshop. Hopefully the weather cooperates today and I can do more testing of the Rosco swatch filters using a different lens.

Rosco_74_Night_Blue_Transmission_Chart.j

There are a whole range of various filters that pass blue & IR, & suppress in the yellow-red, to get wonderful results.
eye4invisible
Just curious as to where you got the Roscolux filters from. I tried a few suppliers in the US: one wouldn't ship to Canada at all, or even respond to my queries (PNTA.com) and the other was way too expensive (stagespot.com).
A Stranger In The Wind

Just curious as to where you got the Roscolux filters from. I tried a few suppliers in the US: one wouldn't ship to Canada at all, or even respond to my queries (PNTA.com) and the other was way too expensive (stagespot.com).

Hi Andy

I got them from B&H

Search on swatchbook

You can get smaller sizes at a lower price. I chose the 3x6 and 3x5 so I could cut them down to size. I use my old Canon Gelatin Holder that holds the Wratten 75x75 filters.

Roscolux Designer Color Selector Swatchbook (3 x 6") BH #ROSBR36 • MFR #8815

Rosco Large 3 x 6" Cinegel Swatchbook BH #ROSBC36 • MFR #950SBCNG0306

Rosco OPTI-FLECS Swatch Book (3 x 5") BH #ROOFSB • MFR #950SBOPT0305

No problems shipping to Canada,

I cut off the holding pin in the Roscolux and Cinegel with a hacksaw so I could easily separate and cut the filters to size. Most do not have anything printed on them to identify them and a few have the number in an odd place so if you cut to size don’t cut a bunch at the same time or you might end up with a filter with numbers in the middle. Each filter has a card right after the filter to identify them and most have the transmission chart. I did notice a couple of sample were missing as the card was there but no filter. Granted with so many samples I didn't concern myself with it.

The Cinegel Swatchbook includes other types of filters that are cloth, etc, there are also some duplicates found in Roscolux. Same setup as Roscolux with card right after with details but not all have transmission chart.

The OpticFlecs are plastic, several are frosted and a few that might work in photography. I didn’t cut the pin out that one yet. Same setup as Roscolux and Cinegel but a lot less filters.

The smaller sizes available supposedly are good for flash heads they might be fine on a 52mm filter lens but I opted for the bigger size.

• 2 weeks later...
Later in the week I received my Roscolux, Cinegel and Opti-flecs swatch books. After some cutting some of them down to approximately 75mmx75mm I did a few tests yesterday.

Wow, nice they're offering swatch books that large.

Lee only has the smaller swatch book which is too small to mount in a regular fillter ring and the Master Edition is around $150

I always use the small swatches as a rear filter.

I have the smaller Rosco Cinegel, e-Color+ and Supergel swatchbooks as well but I can only find #74 in my Supergel swatchbook. These are quite old though so things may have changed in the meantime.

It looks like Lee has ditched this color since it's not in their list anymore.

I will also try and see the effect of GRB3 stacked with #74

I've just been looking through the Lee blue filters and nearly all of them are peaking around 450nm

None around 425nm

Interesting.

I wish I could find the larger version of the Lee swatch book, but I don't think they make that available too easily, it sure would be nice, because their smaller swatch book is just a little too small for the size I like to work with.

If anyone knows where to find the larger Lee swatch book, let me know.

I think the Rosco filters work the same and have the same numbers as the Lee though, but I have not tried the Rosco. I will get one and compare.

Cadmium,

Not worth it anymore. Better to just order the sheets you like.

The tinny swatch book is no longer free. Now $20 each.

The master large book is atleast $200, last I saw. You can call Lee to see if the price has gone up.

The tinny swatch book is no longer free. Now $20 each.

It's still free, however some companies and individuals are charging a premium by reselling them (eBay).

If you work in the theater or movie business you'll have no problems getting one for free (you just pay for shipping and handling).

But I believe most resellers will send you 1 or 2 at most.

I think that's because they do want to offer them on their website but don't want people who are "not in the business" and thus not likely to use them for what they're intended for (look for the needed filter and order a fair amount) to get them for free.

If you're a company buying their filters on a regular base they most likely throw in a sample book with your order for free if you ask for it.

But perhaps I'm wrong. I've never been dealing with Lee directly, only through resellers. I've never had to pay for a swatch book.

Some pictures I've just taken with Rosco #74

Sony Nex-3N full spectrum with Canon 24mm 2.8 IS USM

White balanced on 18% grey card

The weather's not that great and a lot of dark clouds so contrast could've been much better.

Colors are straight out of camera (jpeg), I just boosted the contrast a bit.

I was quite surprised how the filter behaves stacked with 2mm GRB3 (last picture)

To use these in Lightroom you need to create a custom profile because color temperature is off the scale.

post-244-0-34397400-1594987308.jpg

post-244-0-95820800-1594987346.jpg

post-244-0-92189900-1594987363.jpg

post-244-0-55290600-1594987385.jpg

post-244-0-51291300-1594987404.jpg

post-244-0-12155700-1594987424.jpg

Thanks Colin

It's really weird how the GRB3 filter completely shifts the IR tint from yellow to red

My first thought was I messed up white balancing but after a second try I got exactly the same result.

You made a graph showing the Lee 115 + GRB3 stack in my gallery earlier.

Perhaps you can do the same here and see if there's an explanation for the color shift?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Nisei, but I'll need to get some Rosco #74 first.

Ah yes of course :lol:

Well, if it's difficult for you to get I can always send you the remaining part of the swatch I've been using.

I only need a 12mm square to get a spectrum.

I need to get some of these swatch books.

Just let me know okay? The piece I have left is too small for me to use but more than enough for you to measure.

Hi Nisei, I found another Rosco swatch book & it has the #74.

First is the Rosco74 in full sunlight.......

Second is the GRB3 + Rosco74 in full sunlight.......

post-31-0-36316700-1595122955.jpg

post-31-0-48710500-1595122982.jpg