UltravioletPhotography

RNI Aerochrome plugin

A software company that has been unknown to me released a plugin for Adobe CC and Lighroom that simulates the rendition of Aerochrome.

https://reallyniceim...-lightroom.html

While the landscapes looks really like the images shot with Aerochrome or the skilful simulations posted to this forum, the skin tones seem to be rendered normally. I'm not sure if some AI engine recognizes human beings and masks them out.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer a trial version. How do you think?

Andy Perrin
It sounds more like "simulated Aerochrome," right? Not like what we do, more like just changing the colors around in a visible light image. I'm not really interested in that — to my mind, the reason for liking aerochrome is not just the look, it's because you are also seeing something (partially) outside the visible spectrum.

It sounds more like "simulated Aerochrome," right? Not like what we do, more like just changing the colors around in a visible light image. I'm not really interested in that — to my mind, the reason for liking aerochrome is not just the look, it's because you are also seeing something (partially) outside the visible spectrum.

Yep. I agree. Some of those pics look good, but does a green plastic chair turn red? If you know what I mean.

Yep. I agree. Some of those pics look good, but does a green plastic chair turn red? If you know what I mean.

Probably not. They aren't "scientific aerochrome" images, more like aesthetic ones. If you just want the look, good, otherwise you just can't guess the IR reflectivity of something without actually seeing some IR light.

Probably not. They aren't "scientific aerochrome" images, more like aesthetic ones. If you just want the look, good, otherwise you just can't guess the IR reflectivity of something without actually seeing some IR light.

Then you do know what I mean. :wink:

Then you do know what I mean. :wink:

[edit] Bugger! I thought they werre offering a trial but the links are for Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom [/edit]

Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer a trial version. How do you think?

They do.

Scroll down to Installation & Requirements and you'll see 2 download links (Lightroom & Photoshop).

Folks, I don't think the plugin replaces HIR along with its scientific purpose either. It just emulates the look of it. But, if your purpose is non-scientific, it seems to recreats the look fairly well.

[edit] Bugger! I thought they werre offering a trial but the links are for Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom [/edit]

They do.

Scroll down to Installation & Requirements and you'll see 2 download links (Lightroom & Photoshop).

Unfortunately they are the links to the trial versions of LR and PS...

Whatever the algorithm is, it recreates red vegetation well. But that is only a part of "the look." As noted, it fails to duplicate other aspects, e.g. yellow lips, red LEDs turning green, and so forth. I have played around with protocols for reprocessing ordinary color images this way myself (see here.) I would be curious to see just what the reprocessing involves.

I have not tried this plugin but I feel this is just another faux IR technique that tries to emulate the real technique but appears to fall short. Just like the old faux B&W IR emulation, it should be considered an artistic tool. The problem occurs when users accept this as a replacement technique.

I have seen several presentations where photographers have shown their images and referred to them as B&W Infrared, when in fact they were visible images processed using faux B&W IR processing. When questioned, they are adamant there is no difference because they are unaware that you cannot take a colour and determine its IR reflectance signature.

Andy Perrin
Shane, I've run into this problem with people, and my shortcut is to ask them, "Okay, if you broke your leg, could you shoot a photo of it with your phone and change the colors somehow to see the bones, like an X-ray?" That usually clarifies the issue for people who are honestly confused.

Shane, I've run into this problem with people, and my shortcut is to ask them, "Okay, if you broke your leg, could you shoot a photo of it with your phone and change the colors somehow to see the bones, like an X-ray?" That usually clarifies the issue for people who are honestly confused.

Excellent......

And yet...

I remember the days after MH370 disappeared over the Indian Ocean, when there were all kinds of wild schemes claiming to locate the wreckage. One group claimed to have done so using NMR spectroscopy based on satellite imagery. NMR spectroscopy involves placing a rotating sample in a high magnetic field and bombarding it with radio waves. One would think, what kind of numpty could believe that this sort of information could be extracted from ordinary photographs, not to mention all the other logical holes in this scheme? Yet there was serious public discussion of this for a bit. Never underestimate the public.