• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

--- Comment only thread for my galleries

3 replies to this topic

#1 Øivind Tøien

• Members+G
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:27

Please post comments only on my galleries in this thread and please do not comment in the gallery's image threads.

I will be numbering images consecutively in each gallery thread so that it is easy to comment. Refer to image by thread and number, examples,
IR #1
Fluorescence #1
Also feel free to provide a link to the gallery post.

Edited by Øivind Tøien, 28 June 2020 - 05:30.

Øivind

#2 Bernard Foot

Bernard Foot

• Members+G
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:33

Oivinf,

Two nice shots.

On the IR shot, how come the fields are mainly devoid of IR reflectance - was it late in the year after the harvest or early in the year before the plants started growing?

In the UVIVF shot, what is the leaf behind the insect?
Bernard Foot

#3 Øivind Tøien

• Members+G
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 20:08

Thanks for commenting Bernard.
The IR #1 image was captured in late August. Unfortunately I have no visible spectrum version of it, but I think those fields have less IR reflectance because the crops have already been harvested, or the crops have come to the stage where it is all dry and yellow. Some darker ones might even have been re-plowed. If you look closely, one of the fields have som spots that likely are round hay balls. Also keep in mind that this is simulated aerochrorme, the body I use for all my IR captures is a D40x with a Lifepixel standard conversion (about 720nm). So lots of the distinction between the reds and the background comes from enhancements in post-processing.

The "leaf" in the Fluorescence #1 image shows the bottom side of a sporophyll frond of a fern. The blue clusters are the sori that contain the spores. Opposed to the IR image, colors in the fluorescence image have not been manipulated beyond normal white balancing. The UV source was a filtered 365nM Tank007 and the image is an average of two exposures where the UV source was aimed from different angles.
Øivind

#4 Bernard Foot

Bernard Foot

• Members+G
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 20:56

I've not heard of sprophylls before. I'll have to look at ferns more closely!
Bernard Foot