UltravioletPhotography

Newer Convoy S2+ with newer 365nm UV Nichia LED

Cadmium

Hornblende, Thanks!

Here is a strange thing, I got a pack of ten 18650 batteries the a few weeks back.

They all looked the same, except one that was physically 3mm longer than the others.

It would not fit my charger or a torch. Pretty weird.

They sent me a replacement, so all is well.

• 3 months later...

I had an idea. To test the LED, one can attach it to a heatsink with a known thermal resistance (in K/W), and run it for a while (like half an hour). After the heatsink temperature has stabilized, you can calculate how much power the LED dissipated as heat, by doing ((heatsink temperature-ambient temperature)/thermal resistance). Then calculate the power consumption of the LED by doing voltage*current, and then subtract the first power (heat) from the total power consumption. This should give you the emitted power. Of course, attaching the LED to the heatsink will change the thermal resistance a little, and also the position in which the heatsink sits (standing up, laying on the side or laying “bottom down”) will change its thermal resistance too. But it should roughly give an idea.

Steve, did you figure out why your torch with the new LED doesn’t perform better than the old one?

Ok, I see. You can compare the LEDs, and the newer one was even warmer, so odd.

I was talking about a way to measure (roughly) the output power. We don't know the thermal resistance of the torch.

I don't think it is really heat. There was some heat difference over extended time, but it doesn't seem like a big difference. They even seem the same to the touch.

I think if you want to figure it out, then get one of each to test, assuming you have the older version, the newer ver5sion is probably all that is being sold now.

I didn't want to open the torch head a third time, since I feel like I damage it everytime. So I projected the image of the LED with a magnifying glass on a paper sheet on the other side of my bedroom, and it is the old version. So maybe one day I will buy the new one and test it myself.