• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

Newer Convoy S2+ with newer 365nm UV Nichia LED

54 replies to this topic

#1 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 00:56

The new version of the Convoy S2+ with newer 365nm UV Nichia LED.
This seems to be slightly brighter, I will test that with my meter to be more exact later.
The new version has a newer Nichia LED, Part No. NCSU276C N.
Nichia UV LED info page:
https://www.nichia.c...duct/uvled.html

I got mine at Gearbest. Cost is the same as the older one was.
Here are some specifications of the old and new LED, and graphs of the old and new LED which look the same.
This is a good improvement.
I have not compared the actual brightness with my meter yet, and I have not tested temperature build up difference.
I didn't notice anything else to be different.

Convoy S2+ Nichia 365nm UV LED (older)
Part No. NCSU276A U365
Size: LxWxH(mm) 3.5x3.5x2.0
Peak Spectrum λp (nm): 365
Optical Power Typ (mW): 780
Forward Voltage VF(V): 3.8 (Typ) - 4.4 (Max)
Directivity 2θ ½ (degree): 130
IF(mA): 500

Convoy S2+ Nichia 365nm UV LED (newer)
Part No. NCSU276C N
Peak Wavelength λp Typ.(nm) 365
Radiant Flux ΦE Typ.(mW) 1,050
Forward Voltage VF Typ.(V) 3.8
Max.(V) 4.4
Directivity 2θ ½ Typ.(degree) 120
IF (mA) 500
Size LxWxH (mm) 3.5x3.5x2.0

Older NCSU276A U365 LED graph.
Attached Image: Convoy_s2p_nichia_ncsu276a_365nm_led_older_jpg.jpg

Newer NCSU276C N LED graph.
Attached Image: NICHIA_NCSU276C_LED_newer.jpg

Edited by Cadmium, 25 June 2020 - 01:38.

#2 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:46

Interesting,
I tried to order the other LG 5W convoy and they sent me a SST40 white LED flashlight instead. I accepted a partial refund.
So I can't compare to my Nichia convoy. As it outputs zero UV and peak max is 447nm and 530nm.

I do wonder though the difference.

#3 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 808 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:52

Almost 1.35 times the amount of light from an emitter with the same size. Size is important, since the smaller the light source is, the more you can collimate it. A domeless/lensless version would be even better if you want a narrow, intense beam.

#4 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:34

Myself, I like using my PayPal instead of my Credit Card online. Gearbest lets me use PayPal, so that is where I get these.
I see them on eBay now a days, of course I can use my PayPal there, but the prices are a little more than Gearbest.
I am assuming all of them now have the newer Nichi LED in them, and Nichia doesn't even show the older LED on their page, so... the old LED is history.
The new LED does seem to have a bit more brightness. I played with the meter even, and it looks that way, but I have to get everything set up exactly to make tests.
It is not much different, so I wouldn't run out and update from what I see.
I am just happy they are as good, if not better.
The new LED looks different, easy to see the difference, same basic size, and domed shape.
Someone like Ulf would understand the electrical specification comparisons better than I do.
I have not got a good pic of the new LED yet, somehow I was having problems with that, got good ones of the old LED though.
All I am saying is that I am happy with the newer ones, the newer Nichia LED in them, and I trust Nichia's emission graphs, they are a reputable company, the graphs looks the same to me,
so I would say anyone wanting one is good with the newer ones, and Gearbest seems to have the best price I have seen, but if you want the best shipping rate with them, then they may not get there all that soon, unless you upgrade the shipping, which will definitely add cost to the items.

That AliExpress place, I won't buy things there because they want my credit card. Also, I am not so sure they are as good at Gearbest, who I have never had a single problem with.
I have seen a few things at Ali I wanted to buy... but nope.

Edited by Cadmium, 25 June 2020 - 06:42.

#5 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 808 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:12

I noticed that the new LED is simply more efficient, it uses the same amount of power as the old one. In the worst case, assuming a forward voltage of 4.4 V, a forward current of 0.5 A and a output of 1.05 W, the efficiency is 1.05/(4.4*0.5) = 47.7%. This means that this LED is around 50% efficient, half of the energy it uses becomes UV light and half heat. This is a very high efficiency for a 365 nm LED. The Convoy will heat up less, while emitting more light with the same battery life. I wonder what we will see in 10 years...

#6 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:10

View PostCadmium, on 25 June 2020 - 06:34, said:

Myself, I like using my PayPal instead of my Credit Card online. Gearbest lets me use PayPal, so that is where I get these.
I see them on eBay now a days, of course I can use my PayPal there, but the prices are a little more than Gearbest.
I am assuming all of them now have the newer Nichi LED in them, and Nichia doesn't even show the older LED on their page, so... the old LED is history.
The new LED does seem to have a bit more brightness. I played with the meter even, and it looks that way, but I have to get everything set up exactly to make tests.
It is not much different, so I wouldn't run out and update from what I see.
I am just happy they are as good, if not better.
The new LED looks different, easy to see the difference, same basic size, and domed shape.
Someone like Ulf would understand the electrical specification comparisons better than I do.
I have not got a good pic of the new LED yet, somehow I was having problems with that, got good ones of the old LED though.
All I am saying is that I am happy with the newer ones, the newer Nichia LED in them, and I trust Nichia's emission graphs, they are a reputable company, the graphs looks the same to me,
so I would say anyone wanting one is good with the newer ones, and Gearbest seems to have the best price I have seen, but if you want the best shipping rate with them, then they may not get there all that soon, unless you upgrade the shipping, which will definitely add cost to the items.

That AliExpress place, I won't buy things there because they want my credit card. Also, I am not so sure they are as good at Gearbest, who I have never had a single problem with.
I have seen a few things at Ali I wanted to buy... but nope.

I like ebay, just because if there is any problems you will be refunded your money.
But now it looks like you pay extra for that privilege. Things are easily 50% more expensive.

#7 Øivind Tøien

• Members+G
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 22:56

When I bought my Convoy through Ali express in late 2018, they accepted Paypal. Perhaps things have changed?

Edited by Øivind Tøien, 25 June 2020 - 22:57.

Øivind

#8 colinbm

• Members+G
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:44

Hey you guys are mentioning company names & stating how you feel about them......
If I mention your name & stated how I feel about you, would you get all offended.....?

#9 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:52

For identification.
Here is the old (left) and new (right) Convoy Nichia LED photos so you know what you have. If your LED doesn't look like one of these, then you probably have some other brand of LED.

Side by side shows actual related size.
Attached Image: Convoy_old_and_new_LED.jpg

Close up of LED's, and showing angled view of LED dome shapes.
Attached Image: Nichia_LED_Old_New_Convoy_S2_plus_2_1280.jpg

#10 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:19

View Postcolinbm, on 26 June 2020 - 01:44, said:

Hey you guys are mentioning company names & stating how you feel about them......
If I mention your name & stated how I feel about you, would you get all offended.....?
Colin, I don't want to get into this, but please, try to "forget" this situation. If you want an advice, talk to Steve privately, have a nice (polite) discussion, and get over it. Please. I don't want to "do the lawyer" or "do the admin", but Andrea has been clear enough, and I totally agree with her. I understand your frustration, I understand your feelings, but if you keep acting like this nothing will fix. Don't take this as an insult or as an attack, this is the best advice I can give you.

#11 colinbm

• Members+G
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:46

Stefano, thanks, its OK

PS, just read the posts, don't try to read anything into it.
I am not two faced, I don't beat around the bush, I say what I mean & mean what I say.....simple.

Edited by colinbm, 26 June 2020 - 09:06.

#12 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 20:30

I have compared the old and new with two meters, and there is little to no difference. There newer LED may be slightly stronger, but not enough for me to determine.
'Straight out of the box' it seemed to me like the newer one was stronger, but now with the meters I would say these are the same strength.

Edited by Cadmium, 26 June 2020 - 20:32.

#13 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 20:41

View Postcolinbm, on 26 June 2020 - 08:46, said:

Stefano, thanks, its OK

PS, just read the posts, don't try to read anything into it.
I am not two faced, I don't beat around the bush, I say what I mean & mean what I say.....simple.

No Colin, it is NOT OK.
You are acting like someone who is upset, who is having a ongoing temper tantrum, and you have some vendetta.
You do beat around the bush, just enough to be safe, but I don't appreciate all the rude innuendos, and I would think no one else gets anything out of it either.
I don't know what your vendetta is with me, you don't talk privately, if you are upset with me about something then you should talk to me privately.
You should not be in this topic saying the things you are saying. Your comments here should be removed, because they have nothing to do with this topic.
No one here except you has done or said anything wrong, you are acting like a child.

#14 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 20:43

That's odd. Did you measure almost the same exact value? Is the fluorescence on paper visually stronger?

#15 Andy Perrin

• Members+G
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 20:45

Is there any price difference?

Oops you already answered that, sorry.

Edited by Andy Perrin, 26 June 2020 - 20:46.

#16 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 20:55

Stefano, It did and does seem a bit stronger on paper, but ever so slightly, and I don't trust myself for that.
I am using U-340 2mm filters in both, by the way, for the tests.
I used Blak-Ray J221 in B mode, and a Solarmeter 4.0 UVA.
When metering with either of those meters the Convoy was distanced about a foot or so the same distance for all tests.
If you ask me, there is not enough difference to mention.

Yes, Andy, the new prices (on Gearbest) are the same as the older prices.
https://www.gearbest...9459962258.html

The ones I see on eBay are more, but I have not looked or inquired about the LED's in those, there may be a mix still at this point.
Gearbest actually has the old and new listed on their Convoy 365nm Nichia search, showing two slightly different prices,
but both of those links take me to the same newer item with the newer price, so it would seem they are out of the older one.
https://www.gearbest..._-365nm-Nichia/

Edited by Cadmium, 26 June 2020 - 21:09.

#17 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 21:04

Are you using the same battery or two different batteries for the test? If they are different, are they charged to the same voltage? I notice that these drivers are not really "constant power", and the LED does dim a bit as the voltage lowers.

#18 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 21:10

Stefano, Yes, always two freshly full charged batteries.

#19 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 21:17

This probably needs more testing. For now, it seems there isn't so much difference, as you said. It can also be that your old LED is particularly efficient and the new one particularly inefficient (they can and do have some variability). Still odd. Maybe, testing more LEDs, the difference can be seen better.

#20 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 00:17

Stefano, The circuitry is different also, notice where it says: "Drive upgrade for the 7135 x 3 ( older drive 7135 x 2 ), the new Nichia lamp beads, power increases".
So I don't know, Ulf seems pretty smart about stuff... but I am not showing an increase of light with the meters.
Since this version is the future, and the old LED doesn't seem to be featured on Nichia's page now, I would say that this is what we have now.
The Convoy S2+ UV was hard to find there for a while, so probably the older versions are long gone, and most any of them out there now have the new LED in them, just a guess.