UltravioletPhotography

UV with a drone?

Cadmium

A drone filter frame modification, installing a UV-pass filter. This is only a test.

I don't own a drone myself, I will not be testing it myself.

My first question is, if and how it would be used on a drone in flight, even when hovering in one place,

and if this deeper filter ring used here will add vignetting.

This was all I have to fit the hole right now. The filter glass could be installed alone, but it would require some edge covering, or painting to prevent light from entering the edges,

and the glass circle would need to be slightly larger than what fits in this filter ring, but that could cut down on possible vignetting.

Going to try this first to see how UV-pass works in flight.

PS: This idea was given to me by Andy Broomé.

This fits a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone.

post-87-0-94196700-1592200524.jpg

eye4invisible

The Mavic 2 Pro has 2 modes as far as field of view is concerned. There is an HQ setting for video that does not use the full FOV, so vignetting (in theory) should be little-to-none. Both of those modes apply to shooting in 4K, so one can also zoom into the video in post-processing for a 1080p rendering, so that's the other way to remove any vignetting.

As far as imaging is concerned, the M2P has a 3-axis stabilisation gimbal. On a sunny, relatively still day (slight breeze, no wind-gusts) it ought to be stable enough to take aerial photos. That all depends, of course, on the lens in front of the 1 inch sensor. I may need to whack up the ISO and shoot at f/2.8 to account for that, even underexposing a bit and raising the shadows in Lightroom or Premiere Pro.

The main concern is the weight of the filter vs the ability of the gimbal to stabilise the load if the camera is facing forwards or at an angle. Worst-case scenario would be to point the gimbal straight down.

Just waiting on the Kolari Vision filter replacement glass/kit to arrive. USPS -> Canada Post is not going to be very quick, given the current coronavirus issues affecting deliveries. There's a DJI dealer near me that does drone FS conversions - not cheap, but I don't have the nerves to do it myself :grin:

Stay tuned!

OK, I sent it to you. I was able to drop the profile slightly more, but still it sticks out and weight is 7.2 grams, which is a lot heavier than the original filters for that drone, mostly it is the glass,

which is a 1.2mm + 2mm stack, minimal OD 4+, but that will work fine for UV, but the weight and vignetting are questionable.

I am very interested to hear and see how it works for you!

eye4invisible

Thanks! I'm still (anxiously) waiting on the full spectrum replacement glass filter to arrive. It's been stuck in the USPS system at Jamaica NY ISC for a week now. Your USPS packages normally go via San Fran to Richmond BC, then onwards to Toronto ON. I suspect they will arrive at the same time at this rate :lol:

Will definitely post some sample photos and video as soon as I can get my drone FS conversion done.

Yeah, guess you have to convert the drone first. In the mean time, practice flying it... I hear so many people who buy drones, and crash them badly the first time they use them.

I have no experience with them at all, but you have me inspired. :smile: So it will be interesting to see how it all works out for you...first... :smile:

You might get an idea of the weight question before you convert it...

I still have another slightly different drone filter frame coming sometime, so I will see if that might be better or not.

I don't have any other glass that size right now, as far as I know.

Sounds like fun, take your time, no rush.

By the way, the ring is a 25.5mm camera filter ring.

By the way, the one I sent is a UG11 1+mm x S8612 2mm glued stack.

It only has OD4 suppression, but that was the best I could do in that frame/ring, and is lighter than a 1.5mm/2mm + 2mm stack.

I would rather have made it out of U-360, but just don't have anything to make that out of right now.

A U-360 1+mm + S8612 2mm would be faster.

This one should work fine though.

post-87-0-67691600-1592616936.jpg

• 3 weeks later...