UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Switzerland

Christoph

Glad to be a member to this forum. Been "lurking" vor a while here now, learning some very cool methods to achieve IR and Full spectrum photography!

My name is Christoph, I'm from Switzerland and 've been doing (mostly) IR and Full spectrum for several years now. I'm a big fan of dramatic surreal landscapes - Switzerland is perfect for that. My favorite "styles" are the Sigma Foveon "Aerochrome" and the classic IR720nm. Been searching for new color schemes for a while now - for example, I'm wondering if something like blue vegetation could be achieved...

I'm looking forward to interesting discussions! I post regularly on my blog, check out my gallery if you like - www.hiddenrealms.ch

You can ask me anything...

Most welcome, Christoph. Switzerland is indeed a dramatic landscape, which I unfortunately haven't visited as often as I would like.

You can ask the members questions, too.

Thank you Birna, thanks Colin (I think we communicated via Flickr, right, some while back?)... I'm very interested in the potential of Foveon sensors. I own the Sd1 and think that there's still a lot to explore. Unfortunately it's so difficult to get a custom white balance with a color filter on. I know the simple Full Spectrum method without color filter (still my favorite) and the Green filter method (with light bulb WB). Those work fine, but I'd like to try Sepia or Orange filters for example. Is there a good way to get a custom white balance? Does someone know any tricks? Or a way to convert the files to a better format?

Impressive gallery Christoph.

CWB has always been an issue, on any Sigma that I've owned. The DP1x (FS-converted) that I owned, was the easiest, but my current sd Quattro is very difficult to work with. All you can do is keep trying, and be sure to save any successful CWB that you happen to get.

Thank you Gary. I've been following your work... actually, if I remember correctly, it was one of your series of photos that inspired me to buy a Sigma camera :-)
Welcome. Actually, the original frames from which my single-exposure IRG images are computed do have blue vegetation. It gets shifted over to the red channel in workup. Try shooting with a sharp-cutoff yellow filter and balancing color accordingly.

a big fan of dramatic surreal landscapes - Switzerland is perfect for that.

Yes, indeed! We will be looking forward to seeing what you capture with unusual filters over the Foveon sensor.

So, Welcome to UVP and I hope you enjoy posting here.

Is there a good way to get a custom white balance?

Probably not. Some cameras simply cannot measure WB under unusual color filters or under dark filters. (We who use converted Nikons know this all too well.) You could try using a white standard such as PTFE. Photograph it under the color filter. Then the white balance you make on the PTFE in the converter can be saved as a preset for use in batch conversions for that color filter.