UltravioletPhotography

Interesting store on AliExpress

eye4invisible
Yes, I've ordered from them before, too (ZWB and ZB glass, and dichroic glass).

While looking for IR filters on AliExpress I came across this store:

https://tangsinuo.al...m/store/4314008

I was surprised to see a "ready to use" GRB3 52mm filter there so I ordered it.

They seem to specialize in IR and UV filters. Perhaps interesting if you're looking for cheap stuff to experiment with.

Wow, that'll put the cat amongst the pigeons....

I have done a lot of searching and found one guy in Eugene, Oregon. He sells stuff on Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVIROPTICS?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=268862719) and he was super cool, because he helped me a lot, provided more options and then because he is on the other side of Earth, we arranged online meeting in same time due to nobody else could buy stuff prepared for me (he was out of stock and hid one piece for me). He is pleasant, willing and fast seller - higly recommended.

Martin, Thank you :-) Nice of you to say. Did you get the filter(s)? International shipping has been pretty slow and strange due to the virus.

I think partly due to so much of the packages being transported via passenger aircraft that is not being used nearly as much as usual.

Package is being shipped now. I installed Etsy app on mobile phone and I look on package tracking literaly hundred times in a day. It has been prepared for transport to Prague (Czech rep. capital) on Jun 6 and there is no update since. So I hope, it is being shipped now and not detained by our customs.

While it is good to see filters being sold that people are happy to use and experiment with, it really bugs me that they put Schott or Hoya product codes on there. These are not Schott or Hoya equivalents, and they should not be attempting to con or confuse people into thinking they are.

They've added the Schott and Hoya codes between brackets and I don't feel they're trying to con people.

The codes are just to make clear which filters they are trying to approach.

Look at how many manufacturers are using the Kodak Wratten filter naming. It's just a simple way to make clear what the specs of a filter are.

And look at Lee and Rosco. Both are using the same numbers and even names for certain filters.

Nisei, there will be different takes on the use of these codes, and I get that. However my opinion is that the use of these codes will confuse people into getting something they think is something else. If you're searching for a specific Hoya or Schott glass code, and this comes up, anyone who doesn't know the details of these filters can easily make the mistake of assuming they are buying something that they think is the same as Schott or Hoya glass when it certainly isn't. I myself have spent money on these types of filters before, only to find that they weren't what I thought they were.

Tangsinuo is the person I have gotten my filters from, located in china but sold on ebay.

There stuff has been good. The ZWB1 is similar to u340. Now that I have a spectrometer I should show a comparison between 2mm filters.

I also ordered a bunch of GRB3 a year ago maybe from him. So I may be responsible for that stock. I only bought 3 I think.

The GRB3 is not equal to KG3 as you can see from my posts here. It lets in a little more IR.

You can also contact them through ebay and they will special cut and make stuff for you. But there will be a minimum order size.

The GRB3 is not equal to KG3 as you can see from my posts here. It lets in a little more IR.

Thanks, good to know. Do you know how much more (guesstimate)?

If you're searching for a specific Hoya or Schott glass code, and this comes up, anyone who doesn't know the details of these filters can easily make the mistake of assuming they are buying something that they think is the same as Schott or Hoya glass when it certainly isn't.

Seriously?

Who would look for these filters without knowing any details?

But let's assume they have no clue, do you think those kind of people would spend 5 times as much to get the real glass if they had the choice?

All too many people these days let economy dictate their actions. So yes, it's easy to envisage the scenario outlined by Jonathan.

Seriously?

Who would look for these filters without knowing any details?

But let's assume they have no clue, do you think those kind of people would spend 5 times as much to get the real glass if they had the choice?

Yes, seriously. As for who would look for filters without knowing any details, it's easy to make bad decisions based on poor or incomplete or misleading information, especially if you are new to an area. I certainly wish I hadn't wasted money on filters I bought when I first started, which now sit in the bottom of the bag not getting used.

especially if you are new to an area

Hear Hear. When I first got my converted Gx85, in my eagerness I bought a Topcor UV lens on eBay. Turns out that means it has a built in UV filter. Fortunately, it wasn't very expensive and I am more careful now.

I think the only regret I purchased was the Lodestar X2c camera. But now I think I found a good use for it on my microscope for UV photography. I want to keep the Em5mk2 normal spectrum for UV induced fluorescence. Then I will use the Lodestar for full spectrum.

I bought most of my filters cheap in the last 2 years. I bought the BaaderU filter first 11 years ago.

My GBR3 filters may have better as 3mm thick instead of 2mm. I think that is more commonly available now and that might simulate 2mm kg3 better.

Why the regrets?

Its really UV sensitive. But due to the low resolution sensor, I haven't used it much. But due to the high UV sensitivity I don't want to sell it.

Just wish there was better software support. But I kind of expected that based on its super rare color filter array. Limited to really only 2 options. Starlight live and loadstarc. Both not convenient. Deep sky stacker DSS, almost works, but not quite, could be a file saving issue from starlight live. Also would need a Windows 10 tablet to make it portable.

But now I am thinking of building a camera based around pi parts. So maybe can make many things work. Still have to learn programming. At least I am familiar with Linux.

Andy Perrin
Yeah, similar issues with the TriWave (in addition to its substantial weight and requirement for A/C). But I love it for being able to work from UV to SWIR. My biggest regret there is that I haven't had enough time to work on writing a MATLAB driver for it, so I can automate things like panos.