UltravioletPhotography

Amazing clouds today

Andy Perrin

R72 filter on EL-Nikkor 80mm/5.6. But this is a pano.

Likely a Kelvin-Helmholtz cloud.

post-94-0-43974600-1591680575.jpg

Great image.

I used to know the different cloud types. But I have some how knocked that information from my head. You maybe seeing Altocumulus clouds there. Before or after a thunderstorm somewhere near by.

I tried to learn the cloud types when I first got into IR. As to predict the best background on a day I might head out.

Now you can just add anything in software.

Andy Perrin
Bill is correct. It's not a specific cloud type, in fact the instability is in the *air*, and the cloud just provides a visualization. Thanks everyone!

Clouds are so cool in IR.

Has anyone ever visited the Cloud Appreciation Society's gallery? Linkie: https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/

Beautiful photographs there. At the upper right there is a photo icon which provides a menu of cloud types. There were more examples of the Kelvin-Helmholtz effect which Andy shows.

I particularly love lenticular formations, "flying saucer" clouds. :lol:

No I hadn't seen that before.

Circumhorizon Arc, is what I was seeing a couple of months ago. But only with polarizers on.

I tried to catch a UV image but lost it in the camera setup time.

Funky clouds. The linear pattern reminds me a bit of some I saw at Saqqara in Egypt in 2000.

post-148-0-23427700-1591865160.jpg

Ah fun times - that was the trip I bought my first SLR camera for.......

There are certainly multiple K-H features visible in the first photo, but I have not heard it as a standalone term for a cloud type. I don't know if the formation might be a form of asperitas.

The second photo looks like a train of rotor clouds in the lee of a mountain wave.

Andy Perrin

K-H is a type of instability. My use of the term “K-H cloud” was purely colloquial. I have seen them called that by others in the past but I don’t think it’s a recognized cloud type. K-H instability happens any time you have a rapid change in velocity between two layers of air, regardless of whether a cloud is present to SEE it or not. Please enjoy my computer simulation of a K-H instability here:

https://youtu.be/SAAuE_LN6jo