UltravioletPhotography

Fading signs in LWIR

Andy Perrin

As previously alluded to here, signs with different colored text in visible light develop thermal differences that make the text visible during the daytime — but as the sign cools in the evening, it becomes uniform temperature, leading to the vanishing of the text.

Shown here is a sign out my window captured in increments of roughly 30 min starting shortly before sunset.

post-94-0-66847200-1590993083.jpg

That's fascinating, Andy.

This is outside of my spectral range, so I'm somewhat ignorant. Is LWIR effectively the same as thermal imaging, or is it at shorter wavelengths than thermal imaging?

Nice Andy!

Bernard, that's a complex question.

Short answer: Yes.

Actually any camera, even a UV camera can be used as a thermal camera. Even your eyes. If you look at a red-hot object, you know it's hot. That's how these devices work.

To answer you, usuaĺly thermal cameras operate in the LWIR region (~7.5-14 µm), like Andy's one, or in the MWIR region (3-5 µm).

Andy Perrin
Stefano is correct. In this case it clearly was thermal imaging but “thermal imaging” can happen in visible light also if you take a photo of the red hot burner on an electric stove with a phone cam. However objects near room temperature glow in LWIR wavelengths of 8-14microns, which is what this camera was imaging.

That was a very interesting demonstration. Thank you, Andy.

Last night the SigOth and I were channel flipping and stumbled across a completely goofy series entitled Finding Bigfoot. To keep my comment short about why I actually did watch this for 2.5 hours(!!!), I plead fascination with the Bigfoot search team's use of a FLIR camera to look for Bigfoot "hotspots". The team also traveled to Nepal and searched for the Yeti.

Finding Bigfoot is hilarious, a perfectly acceptable guilty pleasure to watch. I love how every random rustle in a bush is met with "must be a squatch!" (If Bigfoot existed, these clowns would be the last to find it!)

I thought Colin already captured a good photo.

Thats his Avatar.

Glad you noticed....ha ha

Actually it is a good likeness...