UltravioletPhotography

Bug Vision stacks show more. Comments

I just posted an image in my gallery that is well protected from comments and discussions.

https://www.ultravio...__fromsearch__1

I like that, but also want to try to find a good way of enabling commenting elsewhere.

I see what I think are the coiled anthers with pollen, but where are the styles and stigma?

Ulf, what are shown here are the styles, split in the tip to reveal the stigmatic surfaces inside. The styles have already pushed through the fused anther tube when they emerge.

The styles are covered in hairlike structures to act like a chimney-sweper's broom. A very efficient design as witnessed by the pollen grains everywhere.

A screenshot of the two main individual flower types in Asteraceae (from Wikipedia)

"Ray" flower, (technically, a ligule, which is not a petal. However, the ligule itself is derived from 3-5 fused perianth segments, or corolla)

Screenshot_2020-05-24 Asteraceae - Wikipedia(1).png

Disc flower,

Screenshot_2020-05-24 Asteraceae - Wikipedia.png

The "pappus" is loosely equivalent to sepal. The bracts supporting the disk flowers are "chaff". The outer support structures underneath the flower head are designated "phyllaries".

Is the "style" the equivalent of the gynoecium found in common flowers? (the female pollen-collecting part). In Italian it is called in a completely different way, "pistillo". It is probably the evolution of a Latin word or something similar.

Thank you Birna!

It is very interesting to know what one are looking at in these natures small wonders.

I might be wrong, but I think I have seen another structure with separate anthers and styli in the Tussilago.

Have I misunderstood that too?

Is the "style" the equivalent of the gynoecium found in common flowers? (the female pollen-collecting part). In Italian it is called in a completely different way, "pistillo". It is probably the evolution of a Latin word or something similar.

The botanical literature is awash with specific terms for floral parts. Pistil is more or less the same as style, and gynoecium ditto for ovary.

It always pays to read up on a family and its flower design. I have learned all the stuff at university and keep forgetting all the time.

Ulf, if you look carefully at your last posted picture, about half way down the style you'll see a tiny "collar" which is the upper tip of the fused anther tube. The bristle-like conical cell structures on the style are clearly shown as well.

Birna, I looked carefully already when processing the different images with filtration alternatives and saw those features.

I guessed their mechanical function and now you have confirmed and added their botanical details.

Already from the beginning I saw that this image show more of the interesting details like the brushy stamens, but from an aesthetic point of view I preferred the one I posted in my gallery.

I have two stacks giving this red/green colour scale with a slightly different result. They are based on BG3 and BG25, both 2mm either of them combined with a S8612, 2mm.

Editor's Note: Any member may first post an image for comments in the appropriate non-Gallery section and then post the same image into their Gallery as part of a portfolio presentation.

Excellent images.

Your encourageing me to use my BG12 and B370 filters more. The color contrast here is excellent.