UltravioletPhotography

New <300nm bandpass filter from Asahi with good IR blocking

Not many of us are working in that sub-300nm region, but sharing in case it is of interest. Got a Linkedin update today from Asahi, announcing a new filter. Quote from the post;

"The UV filter which has the transmission shorter than 300nm is sometimes requested for a special application.

However, it is technically very hard for any vendors to fabricate the UV transmission filter

which transmits shorter than 300nm and blocks up to 700nm or longer due to the property of coating materials.

We succeeded in coating a prototype of the UV transmission filter by our proprietary magnetron sputtering technology."

Link to the post, showing the transmission curve; https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6667960588800524290/

If the link doesn't work (not tried sharing Linkedin posts before), let me know and I can share a picture of the transmission curve.

Good to hear the link works Birna. No price in the article Colin, but their 2" UV ones are about 500USD from memory, so expect something similar if not a bit more.

Looks like a tough filter to image with. Peak about 280nm, and hard cut right there. Best looks to be a 240nm to 290nm filter.

Might be good as a 280nm filter for protein work combined with out 253 filter for rough DNA seperation. But a spectrometer might be cheaper to buy than those filters.

I think a dedicated UV CCD camera would be called for with this filter, yes?