UltravioletPhotography

Kuri 35 on eBay

Wow that expensive. No thanks. And people complaining when igoriginal charged $100 for his modified ones.
Just think of us in Australia......our dollar is way down, so the price doubles then plus the freight.... :angry:

:smile: I agree with all of your comments, almost, except those 'modified ones' which are not modified ones. Those you speak of are something entirely different,

in my opinion false advertising per even the listing title, and I would only by the real thing.

The thing is, these real ones don't show up very often, especially in this condition, and with the original caps, hood, and leather case also, all in excellent condition,

and no, I have no connection to the seller, no idea, just saying, if anyone wanted one, you won't find one in such good condition very often.

I have them on my watch list, they rarely show up. I collect the 35mm version, I don't need another one, well unless...?

Excellent UV lens though. Here are five of them with a Kyoei version in the mix.

Example of Kuribayashi 35mm f/3.5 lens, caps, hood, case.

post-87-0-45666700-1590122629.jpg

Andy Perrin
I made an offer of 300USD and it was instantly (automatically?) declined, so the “or best offer” deal seems to be not very sincere. I don’t plan to go past that. If I never get one, it’s ok, I have other good UV lenses.

What gets me, does the seller even say anything about UV?

Seems like the main reason for the lens being important is the UV, it has other good aspects all wrapped into one, but I never thought it was an expensive lens without the UV.

I frankly doubt it will sell for that price, the 135mm either.

But they are both worth getting, however. And, sorry Birna, even you are not immune, you could probably talk them into shipping internationally, it is no big deal to ship internationally.

Have to say, those two lenses look as good if not better than even the couple I have that look pristine.

The 35mm is just the best UV lens I have other than the UV-Nikkor, and they are very different mainly in the focal length.

35mm has almost no focal shift, if that matter to you ever, and it is sharp.

If you want to get close though, then you will need to get very close with the 35mm. :-)

If Steve or someone in USA can purchase these two 35 & 135 mm Kuri lenses for me, I can pay immediately by PayPal & you can then send them to Australia Please ?

Birna *is* immunised against getting any more of the 35/3.5 optics. She has Kyoei and Petri versions, plus a number of other clones. And plenty of the Noflexar.

That being said, having an informal arrangement in which a US member acts as a proxy is a good idea for getting items "exclusive" to the US.

What gets me, does the seller even say anything about UV?

Cadmium - the description heading is VINTAGE RARE LENS / COLLECTORS / UV PHOTOGRAPHY

But that seems to be the only reference to UV, so he's not making much of that aspect.

Andy Perrin
It went for $339USD. (Seller offered me $329USD via message, but I wasn't going to pay over $300.)

Cadmium - the description heading is VINTAGE RARE LENS / COLLECTORS / UV PHOTOGRAPHY

But that seems to be the only reference to UV, so he's not making much of that aspect.

Sorry, Bernard, I misread your post.

Let me re-write this replay now then.

That is true, I didn't notice the "/ UV PHOTOGRAPHY" part of his listing header.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll just have to be happy with an IgOriginal clone, maybe the Chinese ZW's might make it extra special.

Nothing like the real things.

You could say the same about a UV-Nikkor if you didn't have one.

The Kuri 35mm is a remarkable lens. If you don't have a real one, then you will rationalize your reality,

and nothing I have to say will make any difference.

And sorry, I can't be buying lenses for people.

Nothing like the real things.

You could say the same about a UV-Nikkor if you didn't have one.

The Kuri 35mm is a remarkable lens. If you don't have a real one, then you will rationalize your reality,

and nothing I have to say will make any difference.

And sorry, I can't be buying lenses for people.

But showing that you have six is a bit of an insult !

PS I didn't ask you to buy it for me, but on my behalf, with my money.

It is not as if we have never done any business in the past, but for over 12 years, my money has been useful to you.

Oh yes, the real thing is extremely good for UV. In my opinion it is THE BEST 'accidental' UV friendly lens.

Unless you have one of these, then you is easy to say what you say, but they are the best, short of some fancy UV-Nikkor or the like.

If the seller knew much about UV, if they know the UV potential of that Kuri 35mm, then they certainly would have included that info in the listing.

Just because they didn't only means they probably don't know that info, but that doesn't change the absolute ability of that lens for UV.

This is not some 'converted' lens, it is not a 'clone', it is the real McCoy, they transmit UV excellently down to 320nm, with strong amplitude in the mid to higher UVA range.

Great lens, no question about that.

Well my anti-Cadmium igoriginal 35mm f3.5 lens is quit good hitting that magic 320nm mark

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=18882

Good to know thanks Dave

They must be the hand picked & hand assembled by an expert.

Not necessarily, to get a deep transmission.

That is due to the optical design in many of the cheap 35/3.5 lenses of that time.

They have very similar transmission as the holy Kuri.

The original Kuri-lenses are likely better built and might give better general image quality.

Similar lenses from Soligor, Prinz, ....were more cheap mass products and might be less well built and has often lived a tough life as they were so cheap.

The deep transmission is important only if your camera's sensor can register anything meaningful down there, like a monochrome converted camera or a camera with the sensor's window replaced like Jonathans specially modified camera.

David has found a camera that also works in these regions.

To make any use of the extended UV-reach you normally need very special light-sources and lens filters.

With filters or stacks with transmission characteristics like the Baader U, natural objects as motifs and sunlight as light source you cannot benefit at all by the extra range.

Colin, I am happy to help, but we all have our limits, sorry.

I went to ask him to ship it internationally, for you, because you didn't have message access to him, but it was already sold.

Sorry it didn't work out how you wanted it to.

"But showing that you have six is a bit of an insult !"

I have replaced my photo of the 5 Kuri's lenses and 1 Kyoei lens with a photo of just 1 Kuri lens,

in hopes that the replacement photo is not an 'insult' to you.