UltravioletPhotography

Confused about Galleries

One Gallery, for example, has a very nice recent IR post of a tree in it. Other people have posted remarks about that photo, but that topic says I can't comment.

Also, When I go to the gallery section, I don't see a way to set up a gallery myself.

Just curious. Thanks.

Andrea did a redesign on the Galleries and how they should function. Apply to her to set up a Gallery for you as this is not intended to be created directly by members.
Andy Perrin
Heh, I keep meaning to set mine up but I'm swamped with work at the moment so it's waiting until things calm down.
Here was my original intention: Hollering over the top of the fence (so to speak), "Dave, Nice IR tree photo!"
See, Now Dave has another IR photo that is nice, and I want to comment as such, but can't do that... kinda strange, but I'll adjust.
Sorry Steve, but this is Andrea's turf by design -- not much I can do about it. I understand it's all about permissions.

Not a problem. If I had read her link (above) before I posted this topic/question, then I would not have.

If I understand it correctly, then only Members+G can have a gallery, and no one can post or comment in any gallery except the gallery owner (which is not set up that way yet, but will be).

The idea of a Gallery is for members to present an organized body (portfolio) of their existing work. The organization can be historical or theme-based or whatever the Gallery owner chooses. If a member has a Gallery here, they can use it to showcase their work to non-members or organizations such as physical art/photo gallery owners or museums or educational groups.

And if anyone ever asks you about UV/IR photography, you can direct them to our member Galleries and Visitors Gallery so they can see what it is we do.

There were complaints from Gallery owners about photos posted to their Galleries by other members and about excess comments which interrupted the narrative. So we decided to make Galleries be more like actual physical Galleries. A Gallery is a place to go look and learn and enjoy. :grin:

I have not yet cleaned up all the existing Galleries.

I like the idea of the galleries as you describe them, in their purest form.

However, I find the galleries frustrating the way they are now, and given their present form I don't even think they should exist, personally.

Like Andy has a new gallery/topic today. The gallery has more in it than just photos.

In my opinion that gallery should be a topic because it is not only photos, it is also technical talk, and contains discus-able content, exactly like any other topic. I thought is was a topic until I got to the bottom and discovered I could not post a comment, "oh, guess what, this is a gallery you are reading, not a topic, yep that again?" I get fooled every single time!

I look at the recent or new content lists, and there is nothing there defining a post as being a topic or a gallery... frustrating.

Mixing the galleries in with the topics is confusing.

It would be nice if people would not mix photos with technical things in galleries. Just post your gallery pics, leave it at that.

Some people are still commenting in galleries, based on account status, which turns the galleries into elite topics.

Regardless, if you post a gallery and you put other discussion in with the pics, people can't reply, or at least they are not suppose to be able to reply.

So please, if you post pics, and you have technical talk, do it in a topic not in a gallery. Then others can reply. If you don't want people to reply, then just post your pics in a gallery with no talk.

Don't get into technical explanations or talk in your gallery.

People should stop commenting in galleries, even if they still have access to do that, it is making a very confusing mess out of topics and galleries.

What I would have posted if Andy's Gallery had been a topic instead:

Andy, the 729 stack always seems to be over exposed (with my camera anyway), so I set my camera to about -0.7 exposure compensation. The exposure aspect may be different with different cameras.

This shot has -0.7 compensation. I might add, this was shot in the morning with subdued sunshine due to haze/thin clouds to the east.

post-87-0-86768600-1589678809.jpg

Settings for the above pic:

post-87-0-60854300-1589679188.jpg

Yes fully agree.

I was surprised by how much green was pulled out from the burnt out red in that image. But I knew not to comment.

The top photo should be left into galleries.

The bottom photo should be a technical post. Not something you would tell people normally. When submitting to a competition or gallery people "normal people" don't care about gear. They want to know the feelings, air temperature, dreamy crap, that their emotions should suck in when they put your photo into perspective with their lives. That how they evaluate it, and campare it to their miserable existence.

Tech talk is for us gear heads.

Or is that the only Audience?

May have to think about it.

I did see a guy at a show in my town trying to sell photos of books on a bookcase. My thought was "you spend all your time testing out lenses don't you and never get outside." Or that he searched the web and saw millions of bookcase resolution tests and thought thats what people want to see. I don't think he sold much. Looked sad as know one was even looking. He completely misjudged the audience. Weird oilly looking stuff on metal and misty landscapes has highest traffic. Also a guy who printed cool stuff on ties and was charging an insane price. He was probably making the most profit, even though I would never buy one. Imaging wearing some odd artwork to the office.

We have some members here who need some free space to show their work.

If you don’t like the Gallery thing, nobody’s making you use it. :cool:

It is of benefit to some and they are free to use that space however they want to use it.

David, I kind lost ya there... but that's OK.

my only point was to address the over exposure tendency, and that all mine has exposure compensation dialed in at about the -0.7 setting.

Andrea, Understood.

David, I kind lost ya there... but that's OK.

my only point was to address the over exposure tendency, and that all mine has exposure compensation dialed in at about the -0.7 setting.

Andrea, Understood.

I was referring to a member gallery photo that had tech details way off topic from the artistic impact of the photo, that I would have liked to discussed. But doesn't matter.

I have been too busy lately. I haven't had time to photograph the outside flowers and have missed some I wanted to catch in UVC.

Oh well. Things to look forward to.

• 1 month later...

I certainly agree that the galleries should not be mixed with comments among the images. A suggestion that I am testing now is to create a dedicated thread in my gallery where anyone who feel the urge can comment on the threads dedicated to images only. I will number images consecutively in each image thread so that they can easily be referred to. (Also a comment in the comment thread can be joined by a link to the post in the image threads where the image is displayed). Examples of how to refer to an image: IR #1 , Fluorescence #1. (This of course only works if thread names are kept short, and the number of threads in the gallery is small, so the strategy might not fit everybody.'s galleries.)

I see some recently posted gallery images by others still get comments in the galleries image threads, so this is also an attempt to clearly indicate that comments are not welcome in the image threads of my gallery. I feel uncertain if anyone actually will be able to post in that comment thread I created though based on the discussions above, so we will see.

I figured it all out a while back, simple.

If you want to be able to comment in all topics, then you just need to ask Andrea to make you your own galled, which changes you from "Members" to "Members+G".

Once you have a gallery then you can post in other galleries.

I am not sure I understand this. It sounds like you are presenting a way to post comment to a gallery that contains images which is what I want to avoid. However I already got comments in the comment thread of my gallery, so it looks like the default currently is not to block comments, thus my comment thread seem to work at the moment.

However if I try to interpret your comment, are you saying that only those who have a gallery ("Members+G) can post comments in my gallery comment thread?

(I notice that Bernard who commented has a gallery of his own.)

Yes. Only Members+G can comment in a topic/thread inside a gallery. Others can't. I don't want to ask Andrea to give me a gallery (for now), since I don't think I have the material to put in a gallery, and posting my images in normal topics is fine for me. I don't want a gallery just to be able to comment in gallery topics. Anyway, let's imagine a scenario where everyone, or at least most people have a gallery. Now, a lot of people will be able to comment on galleries again, just like before the Members+G thing. Probably the solution (maybe it is a bad idea, but anyway) is to give everyone the ability to comment on galleries, saying in "no-comment" galleries that comments are not welcome there (just as you did), trust people to respect this, and then giving people the possibility to comment in a comment topic, inside the gallery. Or, as UlfW once did (correct me if I am wrong), you can start the comment topic as a normal, non-gallery topic, so that everyone can comment. Or, another solution (maybe time-consuming) is to ask Andrea to lock your gallery topic, so that no one will be able to comment.

This is a complex problem, that needs to be solved. Probably there isn't an easy solution, but I think (personally) that either everyone can comment, or no one should comment. As I said, it is easy to get around this, just ask Andrea to give you a gallery and you are done, but it doesn't seem so "right" to me, and I won't do it.

So to we full out ban alcohol or do we allow it and hope people will be responsible.

It allways goes both ways.