UltravioletPhotography

Moon in UV (my attempt)

Yesterday evening I tried to image the Moon in UV with a telescope and my point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic DMC-F3).

F-stop: f/3.1, ISO 1600, 1/8 s exposure. This is the same image, all versions have been resized.

Original:

post-284-0-98210900-1586371266.jpg

post-284-0-74147700-1586371274.jpg

post-284-0-14716400-1586371154.jpg

Quite noisy, but not bad.

Good effort, Stefano! The first one shows some of the detail.

Do you think there is any blocking by the telescope glass of reflected UV? It doesn't appear so.

Maybe you could try an f/8 shot for longer time to capture more detail?

First photo is upside down. :smile:

Maybe you could try an f/8 shot for longer time to capture more detail?

I don't know if I can change the aperture of my lens.

First photo is upside down. :smile:

Yes, it isn't a mistake. My telescope flips the image. I had to flip it myself to obtain a "normal" Moon. Notice that in the southern hemisphere (like in Australia) the Moon is actually "flipped" from our perspective. There is no "up" and "down" in space.
My telescope is the reflective type (I don't know if it is Newtonian). Mirrors shouldn't pose problems, maybe I can test the lenses.

I had completely forgotten about telescope flipping an image. It has been *eons* since I used one. I would really like to get one now that I live somewhere where there is low light pollution. (At least relative to where I lived before 18 miles from New York City.) Our local library actually had some telescopes which you could check out just like the books and movies. But the library had to close during my state's lockdown against coronavirus so I will have to wait.

I should have said "upside down for Italy" or "for Northern Hemisphere". Too lazy today I am.

My telescope is the reflective type (I don't know if it is Newtonian). Mirrors shouldn't pose problems, maybe I can test the lenses.

Actually UV photography with telescopes is a whole other interesting issue. Many will block UV. But there are some really good ones. You can see this discussion over on cloudy nights web forum, when people try to image Venus with a BaaderU filter.