UltravioletPhotography

EL Nikkor 50mm 2.8 Is this normal?

Nisei

I've just received an EL Nikkor 50mm 2.8 (old metal version).

Now when I set it to 2.8 and look at it from tbe front, I can still see the aperture blades so not a full circle. Is this how it's supposed to be or did someone mess with it and put it together again the wrong way?

post-244-0-90363200-1585417863.jpg

There are other problems with this lens too.

It looks like the filter thread has got hit and is deformed and if the black dots come from dust inside the lens it is quite dirty and a bit difficult to clean too.

Is there any special reason that you chose a 50mm EL-Nikkor?

Assuming your reasoning is wide angle, then get a Kuri/Kyoei 35, worth the money when you can find a real one. Don't get some "clone".

Requires no helicoid, works with cheap common infinity focus M42 adapter (need depending on camera type).

There are other problems with this lens too.

It looks like the filter thread has got hit and is deformed and if the black dots come from dust inside the lens it is quite dirty and a bit difficult to clean too.

Is there any special reason that you chose a 50mm EL-Nikkor?

Yes I know. I got it for less than $20 and knew it had taken a hit. The glass is in like-new condition though. It's a simple lens, I've disassembled and serviced lenses that are way more complicated. I've already cleaned it up so there's no more dust inside and the filter thread is also fixed.

So now I'll have to fix the aperture as well but unfortunately the tiny screw that holds the barrel in place is broken.

Time to take out the Dremel and perform surgery.

Special reason I bought it: As far as I've read it's useable for UV and it was cheap (and I love restoring broken stuff) :cool:

Assuming your reasoning is wide angle, then get a Kuri/Kyoei 35, worth the money when you can find a real one. Don't get some "clone".

Requires no helicoid, works with cheap common infinity focus M42 adapter (need depending on camera type).

I wouldn't call 50mm "wide angle". But I also have an Ina 35 3.5 (I know, it's not a Kuri/Kyoei) which is in nice condition.