UltravioletPhotography

Sigma sdQH Monochrome IR

These look great. Did you play with the different monochrome in camera filters?

Also did you shoot Low resolution mode equal to the old 3 layer, or in Normal Higher resolution mode.

Lovely! I especially like the shadows in the first photo.

Shadows in infrared are very dark because the sky is also dark. They can make a lot of contrast with the surroundings. I also love the dark sky, it makes the scene appear like if you are on another planet.

David,

I left everything at default (filtering effect Off), High 6192x2648 RAW setting. In the past, I've played around with the Filtering Effect, with "R" red producing a bright, high contrast image SOOC.

Stefano,

I'm also a big fan of dark, contrasty skies. I could have used a 850nm filter, but the Hoya 720nm will give you the same effect with a bit of NIK Silver Efex processing. NIK Viveza (part of the NIK suite), is an excellent tool for spot darkening.

Hi Andy,

Yes, that's Jumbo. The Elevated park and 1824 St. Thomas Church are steps away, in the same area. I have the same pics submitted on Google map.

Beautiful and crisp images! I didn't know the UV/IR cut filter of sd Quattro can be removable.

Could you disclose the shooting data (ISO, shutter speed and aperture)?

I like these photos as well. Always nice to learn about newcomers to the gear arsenal for doing IR.

As to the "IR dark skies", this really depends on the location not only on the actual longpass filter, but also the atmospheric conditions. Lots of urban areas have plenty of aerial pollution and particles in the air that scatter also IR to brighten the sky impression, even with a 830-type filter.

Thanks all !

Akira,

All Sigma dslr's have a user-removeable UV/IR-cut dust protector, but only the sd Quattro (APS-C & APS-H) have live-view, and an electronic viewfinder. Every other "SD" model, has an optical VF, and no LV, which makes IR (and UV) photography difficult at best.

I've owned a few Sigma digitals, and always shoot at base ISO 100 whenever possible, because of the noisy foveon sensor.

Shooting info for this set of photos:

#1 1/100s, f/6.3, ISO 100

#2 1/100s, f/6.3, ISO 100

#3 1/100s, f/6.3, ISO 100

#4 1/125s, f/6.3, ISO 100

#5 1/125s, f/6.3, ISO 100

#6 1/20s, f/6.3, ISO 100

Birna,

I never imagined that I'd own a Sigma again, but I missed my sdQ after selling it.

With the 720nm filter, the sky seemed darkest at 90°-180° to the sun. I'm just happy that there weren't any IR hot spots with the 24mm f/1.4 DG lens.

Steve,

That weather vane sculpture is interesting indeed. It's been up there, since the beginning of the project.

Thanks all !

Akira,

All Sigma dslr's have a user-removeable UV/IR-cut dust protector, but only the sd Quattro (APS-C & APS-H) have live-view, and an electronic viewfinder. Every other "SD" model, has an optical VF, and no LV, which makes IR (and UV) photography difficult at best.

Not quite. The first Sigma SD9 does not have a removable UV/IR filter. Its glued to the sensor directly. This is also the only Foveon without microlenses.

The Sigma Fp counts and it too has the UV/IR block filter on sensor. Its the first Sigma with a Bayer pattern and is not a Foveon sensor.

The SD10 can be removed, but slightly more complicated as you need to remove screws. The SD14, SD15, SD1, SD1M, SDQ, and SDQH all have UV/IR blocking filters that just pop into place.

@ Dave

" The Sigma Fp counts and it too has the UV/IR block filter on sensor. Its the first Sigma with a Bayer pattern and is not a Foveon sensor. "

I am hoping the 'Hot Mirror' / 'UV/IR block filter " is in front of the sensor & not attached & is removable....?

David,

I've never owned the SD9, but it appears to be a overly-complicated setup.

It does have a removable dust protector (screws), but it doesn't perform the same function as current Sigma models.

Here's the DPreview for the SD9, with detailed photo of the dust protector assembly.

https://www.dpreview...iews/sigmasd9/5

Also, this DPR thread suggests that the dust protector blocks UV only, with a glued IR-block filter onto the sensor.

https://www.dpreview...s/thread/975204

It may be a long wait (if ever) before Sigma releases a new full-frame Foveon, but I have my doubts if they continue with the user-removable dust protector design.

A 3-layer foveon sensor, with removable dust protector, in the compact size of the Sigma fp would be perfect!

I am really hoping that the Fp wasn't a sign that the user removable blocking filter isn't possible in the short L-mount.

I would take great pause if I couldn't remove the blocking filter from the future FFF.