UltravioletPhotography

[IR + Misc.] Covid-19 Discussion and Birna's C-19 Photo-Collage

I know this is a UV/IR board and all... but related to the current Sci-Fi Horror Reality Unreality Movie... I found these street photography shots to be rather chilling.

I realize some here do not like facebook, but I think anyone can view these pics by clicking on the "not now" choice at the bottom of the screen when the author's photo pops up (the woman's face).

These pics are shot is San Fransisco, some of the store fronts are being boarded up even. This is a reality that is coming to a theater near you soon.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10219937651645316&set=pcb.10219937750527788&type=3&theater

enricosavazzi

In Borgholm (Sweden), and perhaps most or all of Sweden, testing for Covid-19 is not available to the general population. Testing is only done on patients who need hospitalizing.

I guess that this policy now gives a grossly underestimated picture of the virus spread among the population. But the figures will look good on paper.

"the figures will look good on paper."

True enough. Until the number of people with the disease skyrockets to burst the bubble of illusion, and the death toll sharply rises. Underestimates in the early stages of anything following an exponential growth curve lead to all sorts of enhanced miseries later. Not a prudent policy. Not at all. A pandemic like this cannot be swept under the carpet.

Only two days are elapsed since I made my collage and there are nearly 40.000* 50.000 more C-19 cases and almost >2.000 more deaths. This is a runaway train.

* figures are increasing by the hour

The plots about this virus (infected, dead, recovered, etc.) are almost a perfect exponential curve. Probably we can even find an equation to describe them.
Well, that applies to the cases outside China. The Chinese have successfully contained the disease by extremely strict measures. As there is no vaccine available at present, the potential for further spread inside China is a major concern unless they continue their complete lock-down strategy.

Birna, would you really believe any news from China...?

Depends on the circumstances. In this case, yes.

My state (New Mexico) has now been offering some drive-through testing in various cities. You can get tested if you have symptoms or if you have been in locations with large outbreaks.

More shutdowns have been mandated such as the recent shutdown of indoor malls. Schools, libraries, sporting events, concerts, etc. have already been shut down. Grocery stores and general supply stores (like Target or Walmart) are now offering "senior" hours. Although I note from recent news reports that Coronavirus may be hitting some younger ages hard also.

My state has a low density population, but of course we have cities. Still, I'm wondering if low density population states will fare better in the pandemic? The initial onset certainly has been slower here than in other US areas.

What happens here in the US is highly dependent upon how each individual state manages the pandemic. I'm pleased so far with what New Mexico has done. But we will be in grave danger if the current measures don't work to slow the infection rate because as a low population, low-income state we do not have a huge number of hospital beds or doctors/nurses available.

I just looked out the window and it is snowing! March has wacky weather here in the wild west at high altitudes. It was 60°F (15°C) most afternoons recently.

Hang tough, you all !!!

The deaths in Italy have surpassed the ones in China. More than 2000 new cases each day. In Bergamo, one of the most affected cities, the Army (our Esercito) moved some coffins out of the city, they are too much for the local cemetery. People with Covid-19 symptoms are rejected from hospitals and die at home. A lot of people underestimated the situation. Only one month ago restaurants were open and people could freely move. I went to Milan with my family and some friends on February 16th.
I think that there will be a lot of realignment of priorities in some countries in the next couple of years.. More public health efforts and fewer tax breaks to the rich is one really good idea that I hope takes hold here in the US.
Andy Perrin
No? Or at least my health insurance covers it so it’s free if I can get one. What is true is that they are not easy to get because you have to meet several restrictions.
I saw a story where a guy without insurance was billed $1400, but that was a couple of weeks ago. The recent Coronavirus legislation promises free testing for all.

Please excuse my ignorance of this:

Would my Convoy lights kill this virus on my hands or a doorknob etc.? What about 10 Convoy lights? Just wondering.

Andy Perrin

I think not because it puts out only UVA. You need shortwave UV to kill viruses. Ten convoys might heat the surface if it absorbed UV well enough and if the temp remained high enough for long enough it might cook the germs. I would not recommend this as an effective strategy.

Any UV sufficient to disinfect a surface will probably also be quite dangerous to human bodies also.

If you want to use UVA to kill viruses and bacteria you need to burn them using a LED like this: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3755-test-of-a-365-nm-led-on-ebay-powerful/. Simply put, no. UVA photons aren’t energetic enough. UVB light isn’t very effective either. You need UVC to do it. The best wavelength is around 265 nm.

Edit:

Andy, we wrote our posts at the same time.

Someone posted a graph of the effectiveness of UV for killing pathogens. If I find it I will put a link.

Well, I didn’t find anything in the forum, but here you can read something about it and there is also a graph:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=13&ved=2ahUKEwiWp5CKh6joAhXPzqQKHY7-AhMQFjAMegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FUltraviolet_germicidal_irradiation&usg=AOvVaw21W2rdjKXFFlFfZcDBziB6

As Andy said, shortwave UV kills viruses and bacteria as well as your skin cells, because it doesn’t discriminate between your DNA and other DNA.

No? Or at least my health insurance covers it so it’s free if I can get one. What is true is that they are not easy to get because you have to meet several restrictions.

Home test kits might become available. But none are FDA approved as far as I know.

This store was interesting:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/companies-are-rushing-introduce-coronavirus-testing-kits-so-are-scam-n1164341

I can say that the FDA is working really hard on helping to get things approved and helping to clearify hospital clean up efforts. Many people are putting in long hours on this.

No, 365nm UV light will not kill Coronavirus.

The best way to disinfect household surfaces is with the traditional methods:

70% alcohol or a dilute bleach solution.

First you clean the surface with the usual detergent stuff.

Then you disinfect with the alcohol or bleach wipes.

Here are the instructions: https://www.ncbi.nlm...ooks/NBK214356/

These screen shots are from that link.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 10.06.08 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 10.06.18 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.53 PM.jpg

Here is further info about disinfection of household items and areas with bleach: https://www.cdc.gov/...ers/bleach.html

1 cup household bleach per 5 gallons of water.

If you get Coronavirus on your hands, you wash it off with lots of soap and water. It won't infect you UNLESS you transfer it to mucous membranes of the nose, mouth, or eyes. This is why there are constant warnings not to touch your face. Which is of course impossible. We touch our faces unconsciously.

Virus lipid coatings are damaged by soap. Reference: https://www.ncbi.nlm...cles/PMC523567/

Epidemiologic Background of Hand Hygiene and Evaluation of the Most Important Agents for Scrubs and Rubs

That is the title of the linked paper discussing lipid damage by soap - and other stuff is discussed.

Coronavirus tests in the US are now free: https://www.nytimes....ests-bills.html

However, at this time, you cannot get tested in the US unless you are showing symptoms

or unless you have been in a place where there is a bad outbreak.

Wider screening supposedly will be available gradually because production of tests has been ramped up.

Andy Perrin
The biggest problem I have with disinfecting is that the surface has to stay wet for a long time for it to work right but I rarely am able to just leave (eg) my desk soaking with alcohol or bleach solution. I need to work on it! Same with computer keyboards. I don’t dare use bleach on my electronics so it’s alcohol or nothing but to really be effective you have to get it pretty damp. And leave it to dry.

Andy,

Its not about getting it wet. Its about contact time to effectively dry out the agent you are trying to kill.

90% IPA will evaporate too quickly, so the contact time is low. 70% IPA will take longer to evaporate and thus have a longer contact time to help with the disinfection.

I wouldn't go much lower than 70%. Scrubbing is always better than passive soaking. Friction is your friend to help break things open.

For your hands please use soap and water and a through scrubbing action. Sing happy birthday to your self at a normal speed to ensure you are scrubbing long enough. You can do that in your head.