UltravioletPhotography

Scleroporus sp. [Spiny Lizard]

Blum, A.G. (2020) Scleroporus sp. Author (familyName) Spiny Lizard. Lizard photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. https://www.ultravio...p-spiny-lizard/

El Dorado at Santa Fe, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

14 March 2020

For about a week now I've spotted one or two Spiny Lizards out sunning on a rock ledge near the driveway. Around here these lizards are commonly called Fence Lizards, presumably for their habit of hanging out on fence posts.

Today I finally managed to get a few reflected UV photos of one of these lizards. The lizard was wary, kept an eye on me and was quick to scurry away under the rocks when I moved too quickly or made too much noise. But I gradually was able to get close enough to focus the UV-Nikkor 105/4.5 in visible light, add the BaaderU and make some photos.

The lizard has contrasting UV-light stripes and spots on a mostly UV-dark body. It does seem to blend in well with the rocks in both visible and in UV light.

Nikon D610-conversion + UV-Nikkor 105/4.5

UV [f/11 for 1/8" @ ISO-800 with BaaderU in sunlight]

Look at the length of those toes on the back legs!

The bright spot on its front foot is a specular reflection.

610_8264pn.jpg

Nikon D850 + 70-200/4G ED AFS

Vis [f/8 for 1/1250" @ ISO-400 in sunlight]

Spiny Lizard chillin' on the rocks.

850_3974pn01.jpg

Nikon D850 + 70-200/4G ED AFS

Vis [f/4.5 for 1/3200" @ ISO-400 in sunlight]

I opened up to f/4.5 for faster speed because these lizards move really fast when not sunning.

It was late afternoon so the light was very warm. The lizard looks cooler-toned (grey tones) earlier in the day.

850_3953pn.jpg

Thank you!

I was really excited to see the lizards begin to appear here. And quite pleased to have managed a UV photo. I'll keep trying to see what else I can get.

This Spiny Lizard has a blue stomach. I think I have a shot of that on one of the other cameras.

Great images. He seems to pose for you.

I like how the camouflage is almost better in the UV, hiding just a little more into the texture of the rock.

Makes me wonder about different UV vision of animals in your area.

Maybe you will find something interesting.

Here's the blue belly. The lizard was "in the dark" and pushing the shadows threw the color off slightly. Just a snapshot really, but does serve to show that blue.

Added 16 Mar 2020: This is a visible snapshot.

850_4034.JPG

Thanks for the link, Dave.

The Amazon area looks quite rich in diversity.

I don't know anything about lizards, but when I arrived in New Mexico I began to collect field manuals for reptiles, mammals and wildflowers. I enjoy the lizards. But I'm not at all sure I want to learn much about snakes!

Bill De Jager

Well done, Andrea!

These lizards, in various species, are found across much of the western U.S. They were one of my primary interests as a child as I was obsessed with catching one to have it as a pet. They're by far the most conspicuous lizard, and probably the most common, in open terrain in lowland parts of California. They were in attendance at our outdoor wedding. :-)

@Andrea: Those are some fun photos! Especially #2... which looks just about how I'm starting to feel in the midst of the current 'social distancing' efforts going on here. // I wonder how your Scleroporus looks under IR (does it still blend with its surroundings, or perhaps does it stand out starkly?).
Bill De Jager

Oooh love that “snapshot”! What a pretty blue belly.

This lizards in this genus are colloquially called "blue bellies" by many. There are actually two long blue (sometimes green) patches, one on each side of the center line. In some species there is an additional patch on the throat. https://www.google.c...Q_AUoAXoECAwQAw

Andy Perrin

This lizards in this genus are colloquially called "blue bellies" by many. There are actually two long blue (sometimes green) patches, one on each side of the center line. In some species there is an additional patch on the throat. https://www.google.c...Q_AUoAXoECAwQAw

Ok, now I'm confused. I thought this was only blue in UV, but now I wonder if it is also blue in visible light?

It is not unlikely for a visible blue object to be also blue in false-color UV, so it does make sense to me. The same is often not true the other way around.

My fault.

The blue stomach photo is visible. And I did not put a label on it. I'll go back now and do that.

There was not much light under the rock so the color is a bit off, and I can certainly see how it could be

mistaken for a false-color blue/yellow/grey//black/white photo. In better light that blue is still vivid.

Mark, I'll work on getting an IR photo. I have to move so slowly when I'm near the lizard, that I don't think I can get "matching" UV/Vis/IR without the ittle guy (or gal) moving in between filter changes. But that is not all that important. "-)

Bill, what cool wedding witnesses! My reptile book for NM does discuss keeping lizards as pets. These thought to live 7 years in captivity. Not a cuddly pet, exactly, but very interesting. These days though, I prefer the wildies staying wild outdoors.