UltravioletPhotography

[IR] Jagged Orbit

nfoto

When Andrea challenged me to commence my Gallery posting, I had another image specifically in mind. However, a forced update by the stupid Win10 as I turned my back to the work station for a while, removed the image - rats.

Thus I start with another, this is an old one from 2004 yet still on my favourite list. I entitled it "Jagged Orbit" as at the time I just had finalised a re-reading of John Brunner's classic novel by the same name. Actually it is even more accurate and valid in its dystopic descriptions for today's communities.

B0404241563_jagged_orbit.jpg

I think this was one of my earliest examples of how unexpectedly colourful IR images could turn out to be. Taken with my Nikon D2H and a 20mm f/3.5 Nikkor, using a Hoya R72 filter. I reprocessed the original to remove some of the yellow cast I let slip by at that time. It's really not altering much of the overall impact.

The D2H files hadn't much of a pixel dimension compared to today's machines, being only a modest 4 MPix. Yet I could take surprisingly crisp nice photos with it, but it failed as a UV camera. I'm talking about the stock camera as camera conversions were at their infancy back then. It did OK for IR, though, but of course exposure times tended to get longish and using a tripod was often required.